Everyone would love to see their lawn clean, but maintaining a garden takes a lot of effort. You can either hire a lawn boy managing the yard or take a smart step investing in a lawn mower. Most people have push lawn mowers in their backyards, which unquestionably annoy them because of the continuous push it requires to move. We asked professional gardeners to use their expertise to find the best self-propelled lawn mower available on the market.
- Top 10 Best Self-Propelled Lawn Mower of 2020
- 1 – Honda 662970 – 3 In 1 Smart Self-Propelled Lawn mower
- 2 – Greenworks MO40L02 Cordless Self-Propelled Lawn mower
- 3 – Snapper RP2185020 Self-Propelled Lawn mower
- 4- Troy-Bilt – B01N5SHP7Y High Wheel Lawn mower Self-Propelled
- 5- Honda HRX217K5VKA 4 In 1 Lawn mower With Micro-Cut Blades And Clip Detector
- 6 – Ryobi Battery Operated Self-Propelled Lawn mower
- 7- Lawn Boy 10732 Rear Wheel Drive Gas Mower
- 8 – WORX WG779 Lawn mower With Intellicut And Mulching
- 9 – Craftsman M105 3 In 1 Gas-Powered Lawn mower
- 10 – Yard Machines 159cc Self-Propelled 21 Inches Gas Lawn mower
- All you need to know about self-propelled lawn mowers
- Difference Between A Self-Propelled MowersAnd Other Types Of Mowers
- Working Process Of Self-Propelled Lawn mower
- Benefits Of Self-Propelled Lawn mower
- Factors To Consider While Buying A Self-Propelled Lawn mower
- Safety Tips To Keep In Mind While Using A Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
- Frequently Asked Questions
Top 10 Best Self-Propelled Lawn Mower of 2020
We teamed up with professional gardeners to help us find the best self-propelled lawn mower available on the market. We made an overview of all the top-picks so you can easily find the tool which is best for your lawn. With the help of these mowers, you can get that perfectly cut grass every single time.
1 – Honda 662970 – 3 In 1 Smart Self-Propelled Lawn mower
Honda engine has come up with a versatile and high performing smart propelled lawn mower with 3 in 1 technology. 3 in 1 technology includes side discharge, rear bag collection, and mulching. One can easily adjust the height of the lawn mower. Quickly release the lawn mower as it has easy folding and sufficient storage. Honda lawn mower provides longevity and durability.
One can adjust the lawn mower in six different mowing heights ranging from 1-⅛ inches to 4 inches. Maneuvering the lawn mower is easy as it has a compact design. It can easily cut large lawns with comprehensive cutting parts. Five different adjustable speeds ranging from 0 mph to 4 mph will help in accomplishing the task efficiently. The twin blade system ensures micro-cut.
- High-grade engine for delivering powerful performance.
- Three-in-one cutting capability that includes side discharge, rear bag collection, and mulching.
- Six adjustable heights for mowing.
- Adjustable mowing speed ranging from 0-4 MPH.
- Twin microblade system.
- Eight inches large wheels along with rear ball bearing will increase maneuverability and durability.
- Flywheel system for safety. The engine will quickly stop when the brake lever of the flywheel is released.
- Adjustable height
- Adjustable speed
- Twin blade
- Flywheel system
- 3 in 1 Technology
- Motion is restricted as it is corded electric mowers.
2 – Greenworks MO40L02 Cordless Self-Propelled Lawn mower
Greenworks is offering a self-propelled brushless lawn mower with extreme power. With the help of a drive system that is self-propelled, one can easily carry out lawn tasks. One will also get an added storage compartment for the battery to carry an extra one for extending the runtime. It has 3 in 1 cutting deck, which includes mulching, bagging capabilities, and side discharge. You can easily adjust the height of the lawn mower with seven different settings, which will range from 1-⅜” to 3-¾”. Tl
The vertical storage will help in saving 70% space in the garage. You can instantly use the easy to start lawn mower with the push start engine. The engine eliminates all the hassles and makes every startup effortless.
- The vertical storage will help in saving a lot of space in your garage.
- It has three in one discharge that is mulching, rear bagging and side discharge.
- Push starts the engine effortlessly and quickly by eliminating all the hassles.
- The storage for the dual battery will ensure that your cutting process stays uninterrupted.
- Because of the steel deck of 21 inches, the product is durable.
- Seven settings for adjusting the height of the lawn mower.
- Dual battery storage
- 3 in 1 cutting deck
- Seven height adjustments settings
- Push start engine
- Vertical storage
- The product is slightly heavy.
3 – Snapper RP2185020 Self-Propelled Lawn mower
Snapper offers a professional series of a lawn mower with self-propelling. The engine belongs to the Briggs & Stratton 850 series. Without any priming or choking, the engine will start quickly. Rear-wheel drive will help in improving your control when you are behind the mower traction. Controlling the lawn mower is very easy, and it won’t damage the grass. With the help of 6 powerful surfaces for cutting, you will be able to chop off the grass finely.
Ninja blade is one of the most attractive features of this lawn mower. Durability is another selling point because it is made up of steel. One can easily adjust the height of the mower with the help of seven different height adjustments. One will require gas powering to start this mower. The ready to start technology will make it easy for anyone to use the lawn mower, and it also offers quieter operation.
- Briggs’s and Stratton engine professional series is used in this lawn mower.
- It does not require any choking or priming.
- Walking behind the traction of the mower is smooth because of the rear-wheel drive.
- Easy maneuverability and exceptional durability.
- Seven different height adjustments ranging from 1.25-4 inches.
- Steel body mower offers long-lasting performance.
- Ninja blade comes with six different surfaces for cutting the grass.
- Ready to start technology ensures comfortable and quiet operations.
- Seven different levels of height adjustments.
- Easy maneuverability
- Supreme quality engine
- Ninja blades
- Steel body
- Ready to start technology
4- Troy-Bilt – B01N5SHP7Y High Wheel Lawn mower Self-Propelled
Troy Bilt lawn mower has an OHV engine with a front-wheel-drive of 159 ccs. One can use it for perfectly mowing yards of medium to small size. Controlling the lawn mower is very easy as it has a lightweight structure. Side mulching capability is there along with the dual-level adjustable height. It retains a firm control with its 8*8 inch wheels during mowing.
One can confidently handle the lawn mower because of the grip. The 3 in 1 mulching capability will offer bagging, side discharge, and mulching. The triple action cutting system will help in delivering even and clean cut with just a single pass. The lawn mower is durable and comes with two years of limited warranty.
- The mower has front-wheel drive and is self-propelled.
- The durable wheels have a smart design of 8*8 inches. It ensures excellent control during mowing.
- The handle comes with a comfortable grip, which provides confident traction and handling.
- 3 in 1 mulching capability will help you to pick the desired settings for cutting. Along with grass catcher, it offers mulching, side discharge, and bagging.
- Reliable OHV engine with 150 ccs front-wheel drive.
- Two years of the limited warranty
- Triple action cutting system
- Two years of the limited warranty
- Adjust the height with dual lever
- 8*8 inches wheels
- Lightweight design
- OHV engine
- Three different cutting options
- Perfect for small to medium yards
- Reliable engine
- Comfortable handles
- 3 in 1 mulching capability
- Some areas will require double mowing.
5- Honda HRX217K5VKA 4 In 1 Lawn mower With Micro-Cut Blades And Clip Detector
Honda 4 in 1 self-propelled mower comes with an engine with 187cc. With the help of a 21 inches steel deck, it can easily cut grasses. This type of lawn mower is perfect for the garden, lawn, and patio. Honda’s Versamow system helps you to pick the amount of grass that you want to bag along with mulching. 4 in 1 feature allows you to choose between leaf shredding, discharging, mulching and bagging.
With this system, you will get a versatile lawn mower with the latest technology at a meager price. Clip director will help in controlling the direction of grass clippings. The clipping detector is present on the deck. The micro-cutting blades will provide the ultimate mowing performance.
- The lawn mower is perfect for patio, garden, and lawn.
- Twenty-one inches steel deck offers durability.
- 4 in 1 Versamow system enables you to pick between bagging, discharging mulching and leaf shredding.
- The clipping detector controls the direction of cutting the grass.
- Micro cutting blades help in mowing small yards.
- 4 in 1 Versamow system
- Clip detector
- Microcut blades
- 21 inches deck
- 187 cc engine
- Leaf shredding, bagging, discharging, and mulching features.
6 – Ryobi Battery Operated Self-Propelled Lawn mower
Ryobi lawn mower is a perfect blend of innovation and technology. The self-propelled lawn mower will make every mowing task easy, and it is battery operated, so your motion won’t be restricted. When you are moving the lawn mower towards the uphill direction, the rear-wheel-drive will provide more traction as required to maintain a straight line. The load sensing technology will help in detecting and delivering true power, which is required for maintaining a favorable cutting speed.
All the features help in ensuring maximum power during runtime. Two in one bagging and mulching options make this lawn mower much desirable. The elements present in the lawn mower makes it convenient for the user to complete the task quickly. Apart from that, there are seven different height adjustment settings, which will help you to start mowing immediately without the use of oil or gas.
- Ryobi lawn mower is durable because of the built quality material.
- The lawn mower is operated with batteries and is self-propelled.
- The rear-wheel driving feature helps in providing better traction while you are cutting the grass in the uphill direction.
- The load sensing technology will detect the power needed and delivers the optimum speed for cutting.
- The lawn mower is equipped with the bagging and mulching option.
- Rear-wheel drive
- Load sensing technology
- Bagging and mulching option
- Seven height adjustment settings
- As it is operated with the battery so you will need to charge it when it gets exhausted so it might interrupt your task.
7- Lawn Boy 10732 Rear Wheel Drive Gas Mower
Lawn-Boy lawn mower uses a premium quality engine that helps in ensuring the best performance. It has been designed to make the process of mowing easy. The controls and the improved traction will allow you to perform mowing in every condition. Kohler XT6 OHV engine steals the limeLight. The design of this engine is operator centric and helps in delivering robust performance with a user-friendly maintaining system.
As it is light in weight and durable so you can smoothly perform different types of cutting. Adjust the height of the lawn mower with quick customization. The cutting system of this lawn mower is versatile, and it will help you to pick between bagging, side discharge, and mulching.
A bag will be provided along with the lawn mower to carry out all the clippings, and you can also empty them quickly. Gas powering source is used for operating the lawn mower. Whether it is a large or hilly terrain, this lawn mower with a rear-wheel-drive system will help in providing better control and traction.
- Kohler XT6 OHV engine helps in delivering operator centric and sturdy performance. The system is easy to maintain.
- The triple cutting system will assist in performing excellent mulching.
- With quick customization at 2 points, one can easily adjust the height of mowing.
- This versatile system will help the user to pick between bagging, side discharge, and mulching.
- Along with the lawn mower, you will get a large bag that can hold clippings and will enable you to empty it quickly.
- The rear driving system provides better control and traction on large and hilly terrain.
- Kohler XT6 OHV engine
- 2 point settings for mowing height adjustment
- Large bag capacity
- Tri cutting system
- Two years warranty
- Three different discharge abilities
8 – WORX WG779 Lawn mower With Intellicut And Mulching
WORX is offering a powerful lawn mower with mulching and intellicut. Dual battery power will help in ensuring maximum performance and power. With the incorporation of patented intellicut technology, it helps in delivering the results without straining the battery. While using the lawn mower, you can quickly move it because of the foam-padded handles. With the help of comfortable grips, it will reduce fatigue that one might encounter while cutting for long hours. There are three types of cutting heights, and you will have to perform lever adjustment to get the right setting.
The folded handle will help in saving a lot of space. By using the single lever adjustment, one can easily and quickly adjust the lawn mower and cut with different precisions. One will get the 2 in 1 flexibility of bag or mulch — the compact and lightweight design help in controlling the lawn mower properly. You won’t have to think about the disposal because it comes with a grass bag.
- Patented intellicut technology helps in saving the battery without affecting the performance.
- Handles are coated with foam to reduce fatigue and ensure a comfortable grip.
- That dual-port charger comes with an indicator to check the battery power.
- Three different cutting heights can be achieved by adjusting a single lever.
- Folding handle will help in saving a lot of space.
- Twin one flexibility to mulch or bag.
- The lawn mower is compact and lightweight and hence offers maneuverability.
- Works fine on any terrain
- Precise cutting
- 2 in 1 capability
- Folding handle
- Dual-port battery
- Foam padded handles
- Patented Intellicut technology
- Three cutting heights
- Operated with battery
9 – Craftsman M105 3 In 1 Gas-Powered Lawn mower
Craftsman has come up with a powerful engine lawn mower having an array of capabilities. It offers rear discharge, side discharge, and mulching capabilities, and you will need to push it to start. Twenty-one inches cutting deck ensures that it is efficiently trimming the grass in one pass. Adjust the lawn mower according to your desired height by choosing from 6 different settings. For increasing the convenience, it also comes with an added bagger for catching all the grass clippings.
One can get efficient mowing because of the 140 CC gas engine. This lawn mower offers auto choke and recoil. Small, medium or large-sized grass can easily be chopped out with one pass if you are using this lawn mower. The rear wheels provide better traction when you are mowing the lawn.
- 140 CC gas engine ensures efficient mowing.
- 3 in 1 capability that is it offers rear discharge, side discharge, and mulching capabilities.
- Six different settings for height adjustment.
- An attached bagger for catching the grass clippings.
- Twenty-one inches cutting deck trims the grass in just one pass.
- Durable rear wheel for added traction.
- 3 in 1 capability
- Attached bagger
- 140 cc gas engine
- Push mower
- 21 inches deck width
- Durable wheels
- Dual-lever for height adjustment
- It is slightly heavy, which might interrupt maneuverability.
10 – Yard Machines 159cc Self-Propelled 21 Inches Gas Lawn mower
Yard Machine uses a 159 cc gas engine, which helps in delivering powerful mowing. If the size of the yard ranges between small to medium, then this is the perfect lawn mower for you. With 2 in 1 feature, you can smoothly perform mulching along with side discharge. This lawn mower will last for a long time because it has a 21 inches strong cutting deck with dual adjustment of mowing height. It is effortless to maneuver because of the lightweight design with large wheels to ensure smooth turning.
- 159 cc gas engine ensures that the user is getting a powerful mowing experience.
- Yard Machine lawn mower is ideal for your yards, which are small or medium size.
- With the help of 2 in 1 feature, you will be able to perform mulching along with side discharge.
- It will last for a long time because of the 21 inches cutting deck made of durable quality material.
- 8*8 inches wheel will help in smoothly gliding the lawn while mowing the grass.
- Two years of the limited warranty will take care of the problem encountered while using the machine.
- Two years warranty
- 8*8 inches wheels
- Lightweight design
- 21 inches cutting deck
- 2 in 1 feature
- Mulching capability
- 159 CC gas engine
- Ideal for medium and small size yard
- Plastic material
All you need to know about self-propelled lawn mowers
Difference Between A Self-Propelled MowersAnd Other Types Of Mowers
The end-user experience of self-propelled lawn mower is much more helpful in comparison to other available lawn mowers. The self-propelled lawn mower comes with excellent lawn mower blade sharpeners that help in spinning or cutting the grass evenly. At the same time, there are wheels for supporting the machine to move in the forward direction. Lawn mowing will become easy when you have a self-propelled riding lawn mower.
There are several models which are available in the market which are operated with propelled gas or electric power source. You can also opt for the battery options. By using a single switch, you can quickly start the machine and adjust the speed according to your requirement. It will also come with a clipping discharge that will help you to store the disposed of grass in the bag.
Working Process Of Self-Propelled Lawn mower
When the motor starts, the energy from it will help in spinning the blades. Most of the energy that comes from the self-propelled mower will be transferred to its wheels, either back, and front. Other self-propelled mowers will transfer the power to every wheel.
Go for the all-wheel-drive if you are going to use it on hills. One can also opt for the rear-wheel drive. If you are working on flat terrain, then you can go for the front wheel only drive because it offers standard performance.
Benefits Of Self-Propelled Lawn mower
There are several benefits of using a self-propelled lawn mower, and some of them are listed below:
Ease Of Use And Portability
Self-propelled lawn mowers have a lightweight, which makes it portable. The best part about self-propelled lawn mower is it is operated with motor or engine, and hence you won’t have to push it. It will not leave any traces of uneven grass. Anyone can efficiently operate a self-propelled lawn mower. In most of the self-propelled lawn mowers, the handles have foam grip to reduce hand fatigue. Even a child can use a self-propelled lawn mower under proper supervision.
Self Propelled lawn mowers can quickly achieve backward and forward momentum as it is operated with motor or battery. So you can easily stay safe, and you won’t have to push it physically. They are available in various shapes and sizes with advanced features like override features, blades, zero turns, auto choke, cub cadet, etc. to maximize its efficiency.
After turning on the self-propelled mower, you can expect to complete your task within a short time. This type of mower is equipped with sharp blades that can easily cut long grasses in a short span.
Lawns whose shape is square or large can definitely opt for self-propelled mowers. You can use it for mowing the small yard and medium-size lawns as well. While operating in a small space, you will have to be extra cautious.
Factors To Consider While Buying A Self-Propelled Lawn mower
When it comes to purchasing a self-propelled lawn mower, one needs to concentrate on several factors to pick the right product. Initially, you will have to sort out your requirements, budget, and other factors that you would want in the lawn mower. Then you can look into all the different functionalities, which are stated below, and see how it is going to benefit you and add them to your desired specification list.
Every self-propelled lawn mower will have a set of simple on-off controls. While using the lawn mower over different types of terrain, the actual speed which has been listed for the model will not reflect. One must look into the set speed because it will help you to dictate the pace in which you want to keep the lawn mower going.
If you are ignoring the set speed, then it will provide uneven trimming, and you will have to go back to trim the thick grasses. Nobody wants to do the same task all over again. If you have a small or medium-size yard, then you can go for a single speed mower. For large yards with topographical features, it is recommended to opt for a variable speed lawn mower.
In several commercial and standard self-propelled lawn mowers, you can get mulching blades. One can use this blade without any deck modification. By using mulching blades, one can conveniently mulch. If you don’t want to fiddle with bags, then you should unmistakably go for lawn mowers with mulching options.
With the help of the washing port, one can make the maintaining and cleaning process more comfortable and safe. In several lawn mowers, you can get the washing port underneath. It will cover the blade area and undercarriage.
Washing port ensures that your hands are at a safe distance from the sharp blades when you are cleaning it. Cleaning the underneath of a lawn mower is very important, which is why for ensuring safety, you must look for a washing port feature.
To offer a smooth operating experience hydrostatic drive system along with cruise control is used in a self-propelled lawn mower. Hydrostatic motors work on hydraulic mechanics to provide smooth and powerful output. The cruise control function will allow you to set the speed when you are working with the lawn mower. People who prefer to have luxurious lawn mower opt for this feature.
Swivel wheels will help in differentiating a professional high-quality self-propelled lawn mower from the standard lawn mower. This designing concept is used in several brands to increase maneuverability. Different brands will put different types of spin, like mounting and sizing. With the incorporation of this feature, one can see a significant rise in the price. If the lawn is large and you need to move the lawn mower around a lot of trees and structure, then always opt for swiveling front wheels.
In the majority of standard lawn mowers with self-propelling, you will get wheels of 8 inches in the back and front. In the models with high wheels, the wheels will range from 9 to 12 inches to provide better traction along with pivoting ability. Models with rear-wheel drive will be more beneficial. Apart from the wheel size, one must also look for solid wheels of high quality that can easily withstand any terrain.
To prevent any injury, safety blade override is used with alarm sensors. When you are not using the lawn mower, the blades will not work till you are resetting the alarm. This safety feature has been made mandatory for all the lawn mower, which are self-propelled. So a bar or lever is used for engaging the engine. Apart from that, other sensors are used in the lawn mower for detecting large objects. The main task of override is to prevent harm by stopping the blades.
Recoil starter is another critical feature that a lawn mower must-have. With the help of the recoiling method, the lawn mower will combine the mechanical and manual power and ensure easy start-up. Many people would prefer a recoil starter instead of pulling it. Anyone can operate the lawn mower that has a recoil starter.
Self-propelled lawn mowers would preferably have different types of speed setting options. When you are guiding the mower, you can adjust the speed by using the bar or lever. It will have a low or high-speed setting option. One must always look for a lawn mower that will help them to adjust with the pace depending on the movement.
If the yard is geographically diverse and has an irregular growth section, then you would need lawn mowers with a standard speed setup.
Always opt for the electric start lawn mowers with a push button. By using an electric start, one can typically use a button for starting the engine. If you are facing any problem with the recoil starter, then you should go for the electric ones.
Safety Tips To Keep In Mind While Using A Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
Self-propelled lawn mower uses electricity or gas for operating, and it is a powerful machine. This type of lawn mower is great for large lawns and slopes. To use the self-propelled lawn mower, you will have to walk behind the mower and glide it to the places where you want to cut the grasses.
There are several safety tips and precautions which you will have to keep in mind to operate it properly. Some of the tips are discussed below:
Remove the rocks by inspecting the grass before you are beginning the mowing process. If stones are getting stuck in the mower while mowing, then it can fly and cause injury.
Before using the self-propelled lawn mower, one must dress appropriately. Wear comfortable clothes and a snug that can help in covering the entire body. Avoid jewelry or flowing hair as it increases the chances of getting caught somewhere. Apart from that, use goggles, footwears which are slip-resistant and gloves. Never start mowing barefoot.
Self-propelled blades are potent and have the capability of causing dreadful injury. One must keep a safe distance from the leaves and ask the bystanders to maintain a safe distance from the machine while you are performing mowing. Always switch off the engine if someone is approaching you.
Remove The Blocked Grass With A Stick
While removing the clogged grass from the engine, use a stick. Never use your bare hand or bring your hand close to the engine when it is working.
While making any adjustments in the blades, switch off the lawn mower. Make sure you are not leaving the lawn mower running in an unattended state.
Secure The Parts
Before starting the process of lawn mowing, check all the parts to see if it is secured. Look for bolts or nuts if they are missing. The shield must be installed securely. Avoid operating the lawn mower without the protective shield.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are several best rear and front-wheel drive self-propelled motors in the market. Many of them have been mentioned in the above product descriptions.
Yes, one can quickly push any self-propelled lawn mower without damaging it. Though pushing the self-propelled mower will be hard. The construction of a self-propelled mower is robust to ensure durability, and hence pushing it will require a lot of strength.
Yes, you can pull a lawn mower in the reverse position, but it won’t work effectively. The first problem that you will encounter is with the grass discharge. The grass won’t be able to get removed, and the cut will be irregular. Since the blades will be running in the reverse to cut the grass, it is better not to expect it to work correctly.
When you are opting for a lawn mower with large wheels, then it will make it easy for you to roll over the imperfections in cutting uneven terrain. It is a perfect match for the grooves, rust, depression, or the rolling terrain. When the diameter of the wheel is more substantial, then it won’t damage the lawn during mowing.
If you have a walk behind the mower engine, then it will require 140 -190 cc. CC or cubic centimeter is used for measuring the engine displacement. If you want to cut long grasses, then you would need a robust model with more cc. Depending on the job that you want to accomplish, you will have to purchase a lawn mower with the specific cc.
Self-propelled lawn mowers are gaining popularity because you won’t have to put in a lot of manual power for operating the lawn mower. Self-propelled lawn mower helps in getting the job done quickly. They are very advantageous as it will allow you to start the engine with a single push button immediately.
You can quickly move the self-propelled lawn mower without putting in a lot of effort. The variable speed control will allow you to adjust the direction of the mower with the walking speed. The self-propelled lawn mower comes with the option of grass clippings discharge so you can easily store the disposed of grass in the bag.
The self-propelled lawn mower has gained a lot of popularity because of its versatility. Instead of putting a lot of effort and sweat in the mowing, you can switch to the self-propelled lawn mower and start cutting the grass. Apart from the self-propelled feature, it comes with other added functionalities that enable a person to enjoy the process of lawn mowing.
Before you are picking any one of the best self-propelled lawn mower mentioned above, make sure you have your requirements ready. Do not overlook the necessary features. Your mowing experience will get enhanced if you have the right tool with you.