Lawn Mower Blades are necessary equipment if you own a mower. Blades are parts that need to be replaced after you have used the mower for some time. So, you cannot be prevented from buying these kinds of components to maintain a healthy mower condition. The pre-condition required to be fulfilled before you buy the lawn mower blades is sharpness. Sharpness is the core of this subject, along with several other sub-factors. To help save your costs and extended search, we have devised this article providing you the Top 10 best lawn mower blades in 2020 with their buying guide.
- Top 10 Best Lawn Mower Blades of 2020
- 1 – Replacement Mower Blade 22” Display Pack by Toro
- 2 – Honda Mower Blade Set
- 3 – MaxPower 22” Mower BladeHusqvarna/ Poulan/ Craftsmen
- 4 – MaxPower Mower Replacement Blades 46”, Black
- 5 – Greenworks Mower Blade 16” Replacement 29512
- 6 – Husqvarna Mower Blade 22 inch for Weed Eater/ Craftsman/ Husqvarna/ Poulan/ Roper
- 7 – MaxPower 3-blade set with 50 inches cut
- 8 – MR Mower Parts Blades 42” Craftsman, Poulan, AYP, Sears, Husqvarna Riding 2-blade set
- 9 – Husqvarna 46 inches Mower Bagging Blade Premium Hi-Lift 2-blade set
- 10 – Stens Mulching Blade
- Best Lawn Mower Blades Buying Guide
- How to determine the time to replace or sharpen the blades?
- Some Frequently Asked Questions
Top 10 Best Lawn Mower Blades of 2020
We teamed up with experts in the field like professional gardeners, landscape architects, and farmers to help us find the best lawn mower blades available on the market. We combined their knowledge and expertise to select and review the top 10 lawn mower blades so you can find the best blades for your mower to keep your lawn in perfect shape.
1 – Replacement Mower Blade 22” Display Pack by Toro
Toro is one of the best brands in the manufacturing of mower blades. Toro presents a 22” pre-sharpened mulching blade. This replacement blade easily fits different models ranging from 20012, 20064, 20047, 20035 to 20372, 20373, etc. The black metal finish looks quite impressive with excellent cutting ability. The blade is, however, covered under the listing of the Toro OEM blade.
The high-quality carbon steel makes it a durable and practical product. You can take this mower blade to be used on minute grass or a little wet one without leaving any brown spots. Even before replacement, it will last much longer as compared to other blades. Sharp the blade when it goes dull. The ergonomic shape of the blade lets you easily install it without any wastage of time.
- The measurements of the blade are 21.68″ long, 2.25” wide and 0.15” thick.
- It is designed as a vertical tooth mulching blade.
- The blade replaces a wide range of Toro blades.
- Its material is made up of premium quality carbon steel.
- This replaceable blade is covered under the Toro OEM blade.
- Easy to install
- Performs much better than original while grass cutting
- May not suit to lawn mowers other than Toro brand.
2 – Honda Mower Blade Set
Honda comes with this genuine OEM range. The package is provided with a set of two mower blades in which one is an upper blade while another blade is lower. These blades can easily fit HRX217 Mowers. Also, these are one of the efficient mulching blades with 20.75 inches length. Even the blades are original that came with the mower itself.
They are pre-sharpened blades with a subtle black finish and ideal design for simple installation. The unusual Mower design of Honda HRX217 makes these blades a beneficial option for its users. Overall, the blades offer high performance with the right durability level for regular use.
- The package by Honda comes with a set of two blades for lower and upper placement.
- The blades are known for single use in HRX217 Mowers.
- Each blade measures 20.75 inches long.
- Both of the blades are covered under the OEM range by Honda.
- They are made up of heavy-duty black with an attractive finish.
- Simple installation
- Durable material
- Set of two
- Easily fits the unusual design of Honda push lawn mower
- No information given about the exact metal used
- Doesn’t suit to brands other than Honda HRX217
3 – MaxPower 22” Mower BladeHusqvarna/ Poulan/ Craftsmen
MaxPower 22” cut blade mainly Replaces OEM no. 421825, 420463, etc. The blade is originally manufactured in the USA. With the 5-point star center hole, the blade is super easy to install over different mowers. The blades by MaxPower are known to use the 20% less drive power to operate the mower. They have the necessary sharpness and quickness in action for the best performance.
The precision quality pleases every customer to consider the blades by MaxPower. Its functional operational capacity also allows for low operating costs. The width of the blade is mentioned at 2.5”. Being manufactured in the USA, the blades frequently meet or exceed OEM specifications.
- This blade easily replaces the blades with OEM no. 421825, 420463, 437601, 532421825, 532420463 and 532437601.
- The cut of the blade is designed at 22” with a width of 2.5”.
- The blade is pre-sharpened with heavy-duty, durable material.
- It is being made in the USA itself while meeting or even exceeding OEM specifications.
- Durable and efficient quality material
- Clean look
- Replaces most of the mowers
- The cutting edge may get dull after long use
4 – MaxPower Mower Replacement Blades 46”, Black
Here MaxPower comes with a set of two blades with 46 inches cutting capacity. These replacement blades cover the brand of Poulan, Craftsman, and Husqvarna with different OEM numbers as specified below in key features. Its five-point star hole will fit most spindles of mowers. Along with the above brands, you can also try these blades on other mowers having spindles that fit a five-point star hole.
However, these are not mulching blades, preferably can be used as high-lift blades with the bag. Other than minor issues with regards to sharpening, the blade performs exceedingly well according to its purpose. The blades may become your best buddy in bagging the grass clippings and to increase the airflow required. They are often used for both discharge and to bag the grass clippings.
- The blades quickly replace the mower blades of the brand such as Husqvarna, Poulan, and Craftsman with OEM numbers 532-405380, 405380, and PP21011.
- Both the blades are designed with a cutting capacity of 46 inches.
- These blades measure 23″ in length and 2-3/4″ in width.
- These high-lift blades are made in the USA itself.
- Each blade comes with a 5 point star center hole.
- Long-lasting performance
- Produce minimal vibrations during the operation
- Universal blades
- Not for mulching
- May be shipped in the dull condition
5 – Greenworks Mower Blade 16” Replacement 29512
Greenworks Mower Blade easily replaces its 16” lawn mower blade. The material is made up of heavy-duty steel. It comes with a circular center hole that is compatible with the Greenworks models, such as 25322 and 25142. The manufacturer has designed it ergonomically for easy and convenient installation on mowers without touching their deck edge.
Absolute range by Greenworks provides pre-sharpened blades to increase the cutting efficiency. Even the models mentioned have performed very well in their field. Being mentioned the compatibility, the search, as well as the installation, will get much more accessible.
- It is a single replacement lawn mower blade.
- Its material is made up of durable, coated steel.
- The shape is ergonomically designed with 1 inch smaller to prevent touching the deck edge.
- This single blade replaces the Greenworks brand models, namely the 25322 and 25142.
- The blade comes with the pre-sharpened condition for cutting efficiency.
- Convenient design
- Sturdy material
- Simple installation circular center hole
- Only fits the Greeworks mowers with mentioned models
6 – Husqvarna Mower Blade 22 inch for Weed Eater/ Craftsman/ Husqvarna/ Poulan/ Roper
Being the best fit for most brands, namely the Husqvarna, Poulan, Weed Eater, Craftsman, and Roper, this blade mainly replaces 22”. As Husqvarna is also a big name, thus they have designed the blade, keeping in mind the requirements of various other brands. This 22 inches replacement also comes with an OEM specification.
The mulching blade has an impressive one-year warranty for any defects in workmanship or material. This feature also claims that the blade is built with high-quality material for long-lasting use. The width of the blade is measured at 2.25 inches.
- This single replacement blade replaces brands such as Craftsman, Husqvarna, Weed Eater, Poulan, and Roper.
- This OEM specified blade mainly replaces part numbers such as 141114, 406713, 752234, 192682, 850973, 1044, and 406713X431.
- The blade comes with a defect warranty of one year.
- Its measurements are as 2.25 inches ? 22 inches.
- It is a mulching blade in the pre-sharpening condition.
- Durable material
- Fits mowers of most brands
- With OEM specifications
- Sometimes you may need to sharpen the blade
7 – MaxPower 3-blade set with 50 inches cut
If you are looking for more in quantity, then consider this set of three replacement blades by MaxPower. These OEM specified blades with 50 inches cut easily replaces the mowers of brands such as Cub Cadet, MTD, and Troy-Bilt with various part numbers mentioned below in key features. Being made in the USA, these blades come under series of RZT tractor.
The center hole of these blades is designed at 6 point star. They are manufactured with premium quality high-carbon American steel. The blades are known to perform better with precision sharpness and minimal vibration.
- It is a set of three blades by MaxPower.
- Their center is designed with a 6-point star hole.
- All blades are pre-sharpened with precision sharpness and efficiency.
- These OEM specified blades replace brands, namely the Cub Cadet, MTD, and Troy-Bilt with part numbers as 742-04053C, 742-04053B, 742-04056, 742-04056B, 742-04056A and Troy 112-0316.
- The blades have a cut efficiency of 50 inches.
- Comes with 6-point star hole
- Set of three blades
- OEM specified
- Fits most brands
- May not fit some of the mentioned brand models
8 – MR Mower Parts Blades 42” Craftsman, Poulan, AYP, Sears, Husqvarna Riding 2-blade set
MR Mower Parts sells a set of two universal mower blades. Both these blades are 2.25 inches wide and 21 inches long. They fit most riding lawn mowers. If you are also having brands such as Craftsman, AYP, Sears, Poulan, or Husqvarna, these blades could save a lot over your OEM parts.
The blades are designed with the dual-bevel structure for efficient cutting and a 5-point star center hole. These mulching blades also cover most other brands of USA built mowers with similar spindle design. For 42 inches of deck surface, you are required to use them in a set of two.
- It is a 2-blade set of mowers by MR Mower Parts.
- The blades are 21 inches long and 2.25 inches wide.
- These replacement blades can be used in place of mower brands such as Husqvarna, AYP, Sears, Poulan, or Craftsman.
- These are OEM specified and replaces model number 134149 of AYP, Craftsman, Poulan; 532 13 41-49, 777 13 41-49 of Husqvarna; 532 134149 of Poulan Pro; 917.270722 of AYP Sears; YTH1542XP, YTH154XPG of Husqvarna.
- The center hole of blades is designed at a 5-point star.
- Dual-bevel structure for efficient performance
- 2-blade set
- Fits most brands
- Aftermarket Oregon blades
9 – Husqvarna 46 inches Mower Bagging Blade Premium Hi-Lift 2-blade set
These set of two bagging blades comes in bright orange color while giving the first good impression. The blades are compatible with 46 inches Husqvarna Tractor decks. These are high lift blades made specifically for bagging grass clippings and other discharge applications. However, the blades are not made to use for zero-turn mowers. Instead, you can use them in garden tractors or riding lawn mowers. At the same time, these bright colored blades look very attractive. Its center hole is designed at a 5-point star.
- Husqvarna provides this bright orange colored lawn mower.
- It is a set of two blades made to discharge and bag applications.
- These blades can be used on garden tractors and riding lawn mowers.
- It has 5 point star center hole.
- The blades are compatible with 46 inches Husqvarna Tractor decks.
- Attractive orange-colored blades
- Set of two
- High-Lift blades
- May not come in pre-sharpened position
10 – Stens Mulching Blade
If you are looking for a mulching blade, consider this one by Stens. This 5-point star hole blade comes in various options of packaging. You can buy them either single or up to a set of four mulching blades. The blade mainly replaces the brands of AYP, Poulan, Husqvarna, and Craftsman.
The blades are hardened and perform quite well in their operation. It is explicitly made for mulching with 21 inches of length. If your deck is 42 inches, then you are going to require a set of two mulching blades, each with 21 inches. With their ergonomic design, any pre-assembly is not necessary on the mowers.
- For AYP brand, it replaces model number 24676, 134149, 424752, 422719, 531307223, 531005085, 532422719, 539110460, and 532424752.
- It also replaces blades of model number 134149 of Craftsman, 777134149, 532134149 of Husqvarna, and 532134149, 531307223 of Poulan.
- Both the Craftsman and AYP brand blades require a set of two for their 42 inches deck.
- It is built with a design of a 5-point star center hole.
- This universal blade is an aftermarket version sold by Stens.
- Solid construction
- Specific mulching blades
- Fits most brands with 5-point star center hole
- Aftermarket version
Best Lawn Mower Blades Buying Guide
Blades come in different shapes and sizes. You have to find the right one according to your requirements. This buying guide on lawn mower will help you better understand their structure and different things to be considered before buying the best lawn mower blade.
So, let’s start with different shapes of mower blades available in the market.
Different Shapes Of Mower Blades
Lift blades come in three different shapes as low lift, medium-lift, and high lift blades.
1. Low Lift
For mowing a small yard, low lift blades are best to go with. They are used mostly for residential purposes for regular use. Professional grade quality lawn mowers are not suitable to use with low lift blades. These kinds of blades also work well to use in casual periods. As they are known to consume less energy, so they can be used on less wild grass effectively.
2. Medium Lift
These are a little bigger than low lift blades to be used on both large and small grass. Some weeds, as well as thick grass, can also be plucked out by these blades. Their big size allows them to use for both commercials as well as residential purposes. Being in middle grade, they are also an ideal option for extensive gardens and much stronger than those low lift blades.
3. High Lift
These are the sharpest blades among all three with high lifting capability. They are even helpful in clearing out any grass clippings from your garden. Moreover, they won’t consume much time and can effectively for more extended periods. A large part of the work can be done in a small time frame. The blades are specially made for lifting the grass clippings into the bag located at the mower’s rear location. This process is called bagging.
Also called gator blades, mulching blades are more professional and preferred blades for fine mulching of grass. They can completely transform the appearance of your gardens with their creative professional touch. You can also find mulching blades in the medium, low, and high lift to bag the small and large grass clippings.
It refers to the center hole here. Mounts are also an important feature to be considered while buying the replacement lawn mower blades. Many kinds of center holes can be found on a blade, each with a specific purpose of connection with spindles of different shapes. There are shapes such as circular, rectangular, or various point star shapes. Point star shapes further come in different varieties such as a 5-point star, 6-point star or 7-point star, etc.
How to determine the time to replace or sharpen the blades?
It is sometimes difficult to determine the time for replacement or sharpening of blades unless you know the following things.
- If a blade has bends, dents or nicks, change them before mowing. If you are using such a damaged blade, it is dangerous for both your lawn as well as a mower.
- Inspect the grass after you mow it. If the tips are ragged, uneven, or torn, there are high chances that you have a dull blade.
- The third thing you can do is to inspect the blade itself thoroughly. Check the thickness of your lawn mower blade. Over time, sand, dirt, and other debris can quickly erode the effectiveness of the blade. It also causes the metal to get weak and paper-thin, which requires the replacement of the blade immediately.
Some Easy Steps To Change A Lawn Mower Blade
Here is a list of some easy steps for changing a lawn mower blade.
- Refer to the manual of your lawn mower for how it recommends changing the blade.
- The spark plug should be disconnected before replacement.
- Always replace the blade when the fuel is either less or empty in the tank. It makes the mower lighter as well as cause less chance of spilling over sensitive parts like an air filter.
- It is essential to tip, lean, or tilts the mower to its handle to prevent any spilling of oil over the carburetor.
- Use a ramp, lift, or jack in case of the riding mower that is made particularly for the purpose.
- To loosen the bolt, use the socket wrench to hold the blade. Also, notice the position of the previous blade.
- Line up any nuts or washers and mount it in the correct direction. Here, you do not need to tighten the blade with too much torque over as this thing can also cause the blade to vibrate in the future.
- Take a break and wait for the oil or other things to get in place. So, wait for about half an hour before you take the mower back in operation after putting the mower on wheels.
- Check the fluids and air filter. Then, fill its gas tank and attach the spark plug.
- After mowing some area, test it and check whether all goes okay.
All these steps are vital to have a proper installation of blades without causing any injury.
Some Frequently Asked Questions
Proper installation of mower blades is required, as it can be a bit confusing. The lawn mower blades feature cutting edges at both ends. Thus, it will be widespread for you to install the blades upside down. Well, you can follow specific tips to determine the upside of the blade. The first thing you can look for is the wording ‘Towards Grass’ or ‘This Side Down’ on the blade.
As the mower blade has two cutting edges, so you should point back the dull and bend edge towards the mower deck. However, the opposite of the trailing edge is the cutting edge with a sharpened point.
A lawn mower blade should be sharp but not as a razor-sharp edge. This is because a razor-sharp blade will get roll over and has more chances of getting chipped or nicked. On the other hand, the sharpness of the blade should be like that. You can touch it without getting cut. But the blades that are too sharp get dull faster, requiring the sharpening frequently along with providing a short life.
Because of the versatile design, mulching blades are often called 3-in-1 lawn mower blades. The reason is that they can perform a total of three jobs with a single blade. They can make applications such as bag clippings or discharge, chopping into a fine mulch, and leaving them on the lawn.
The most common reason that your blades of grass are missing because of the dull blades. However, there are several other reasons for the cause, which are not as common as the dull blades. The other reasons can be tall/wet grass, damaged blades, bad engine performance, low throttle, low deck, high lawn speed, full grass bag, and clutch slip.
It also depends upon the type of mower you are using. Usually, motorized mower blades will last for 20-25 hours until they require a lawn mower blade sharpener. About the overall lifetime, they will last for almost 150-200 hours of mowing. Well, the blades of premium quality will even last longer as much as 400 hours.
Mower blades are not exactly universal. They are also divided according to the length, size, or shape of mounts. Partially, you can call them universal. They are interchangeable if the size, shape, and center hole is the same as the previous blade. This is the reason some mower blades are also called as replacement blades.
The lawn mower blades are best thanks with regards to the enhanced resistance against most unwanted factors that you may find in your garden or lawn. It will become attractive and beautiful only after using the proper equipment and that also in better condition. Our list of Top 10 best lawn mower blades has covered almost all kinds while providing you the premium grade quality. However, the choice is yours! Keep taking care of lawns, also just like yourself.