Looking for an economical way to effectively heat your homes or other desired places often confuses to choose between different types of heaters. The task becomes more daunting if you are unaware of the cost as well as the energy efficiency of different heaters available in the market. Well, no one wants to opt for those traditional looking bulky heaters when it comes to maneuverability and style factor. Thus, the point is straightforward, directing you to take a glance over portable heaters. Either in terms of a style statement or the size, portable heaters have always stood out better in the competition.
To help you out with the decision, we have formulated this article after researching the top 10 best portable heater. Use the well-structured information given below to make a rational decision and know about the portable heaters in a better understandable way.
- Top 10 Best Portable Heater
- 1 – Honeywell Ceramic Heater Heat Genius
- 2 – Dyson Hot and Cool Fan + Heater in Black/Nickel
- 3 – Lasko Ceramic Heater 6462 Warmth Full Circle with Remote Control
- 4 – Vornado Adjustable Thermostat Vortex Heater VH10 with High Safety Features
- 5 – Portable Radiant Heater Propane F232000 MH9BX by Mr. Heater
- 6 – DeLonghi Radiant Heater TRD40615E with Full Room Heating
- 7 – NewAir Garage Heater G56 5600 Watt for 560 sq. Ft.
- 8 – Lasko Ceramic Portable Space Heater 754200
- 9 – DOUHE Portable Ceramic Heater Electric Space Heater
- 10 – Ceramic Portable Space Heater with Adjustable Thermostat by Givebest
- Best Portable Heater
- Types of portable heaters
- 5 Main Factors To Be Considered Before Buying Best Portable Heater
- Reasons To Buy Portable Space Heaters
- Some FAQs for The Best Portable Heater
Top 10 Best Portable Heater
1 – Honeywell Ceramic Heater Heat Genius
Honeywell, one of the trustworthy brands, provides you a portable ceramic heater with optimal comfort. A total of 6 customized heat settings are there in the heater. Furthermore, the heater is easy to operate with just touch of a button and no-hassle settings. As it’s a ceramic heater, so it allows your broad area of the room to be covered for heating, and the portability feature additionally provides the facility to move it from one room to another room quickly.
Along with the better heating system, you are provided with utilities like setting in quiet mode, 2-hour timer for auto-off heat phase, overheat protection, tip-over, and a cool to the touch housing.
- The heater comes with six customized heat settings.
- Its power consumption is rated at 1500 Watts.
- Overall, the body and design are comfortable and portable to use.
- For the additional facility, you can also switch over to quiet mode.
- There is a 2-hour timer for the auto-off heat phase.
- Comfortable design
- Energy-efficient performance
- Great features
- No oscillation provided
2 – Dyson Hot and Cool Fan + Heater in Black/Nickel
The technology has advanced a lot, and we can see the results in this Dyson Fan plus Heater. The brand Dyson is not exceptional when it comes to building top quality vacuum cleaners, hairdryers, and other tech products. This model AM09 comprises of bladeless fans that produce a lot of energy while performance without emitting high levels of unbearable sound. So, in the single package, you are getting a fan, base, an instruction manual, remote control, and 24-hour customer-friendly support number.
Air inflow is also provided at the base. Its base diameter is given at 8.1″ with the plate. For the airflow, it has one direct airflow and other diffused airflow for divergent air flowing. All you have to control the heater and fan from the remote control, and it also features cool mode settings, speed settings, temperature settings, oscillation on/off, etc.
- Its fan provides maximum airflow at 190 l/s.
- The heater is equipped with patented air multiplier technology.
- Also, it is built with a thermostat to monitor the room temperature and adjust the heat and cooling technology.
- You can maintain its temperature settings between 0° to 37°.
- The brand’s uniqueness is maintained with the Quiet Mark accreditation, energy-efficient heating system, and the precise heat timer.
- The heater will automatically shut off if it gets tipped over.
- Impressive design with fan plus heater
- Highly portable
- Bladeless fans to provide safety
- Limited oscillation
3 – Lasko Ceramic Heater 6462 Warmth Full Circle with Remote Control
A standalone and portable space heater by Lasko comes with a power consumption of 1500 Watts at 120 Volts and 12.5 amps. This indoor heater also has a digital display and a non-slipping base. There are three inbuilt oscillation settings at 90°, 170°, and 360°. Along with its oscillating ceramic feature, three fan settings at low, high, and thermostat are also provided.
Thus, all the features of the best space heater are provided in this machine, along with the adjustable thermostat that is digitized and easy to program. Also, its fans and noise they produce are not noticeable, unlike other devices. And, the heater is circular to provide heat in all directions.
- The heater operates with efficient power consumption.
- Three fans as well as three oscillation settings.
- It contains an adjustable thermostat with a digital display.
- You can automatically shut off the fan after reaching the set temperature.
- A small air inflow vent is located at the base with an inbuilt filter to provide you with clean air.
- Large space heater to heat over 300 sq. meter of area
- ETL safety certifications
- Simple to use the remote control
- The strong smell on its first activation
4 – Vornado Adjustable Thermostat Vortex Heater VH10 with High Safety Features
Use this Vornado Heater even at your desk, one of the best portable space heaters that also comes with innovative safety features. The heater is small, portable, and lightweight to offer you the very ease of use. Moreover, their 5-year warranty further pleases the customer to consider it. Over the head, you will be getting three settings consisting of on/off, heat adjuster, and temperature settings of high and low. The cool thing about the heater is that it’s much quiet than other heaters.
The machine is specially built, keeping in mind the US voltage requirements, and it is fully certified and tested for safe use. Its two heat settings allow the adjustment of power consumption between 750 Watts and 1500 Watts. There is a hidden extension cord storage provided below. The machine can also be used as one of the best electric garage heaters concerning its size and features.
- There are two heat settings available at high and low along with an adjuster.
- Its Vortex Action helps to regulate the heat even in the ample space.
- The front case built is cool to the touch.
- The other features include an automatic shut off and tip-over protection.
- An integrated carrying handle is also provided for additional movability.
- Includes safety features
- 5-year warranty
- No oscillation
- Just 2 heat settings
5 – Portable Radiant Heater Propane F232000 MH9BX by Mr. Heater
Being called as North America’s popular heater, this radiant propane heater connects directly to 1 lb. of the cylinder. It is also one of the colorful heater out there in the market. Along with the heater, you will also get 1-lb of the disposable propane tank. The manual states that the heat remains 3 hours on high settings and 6 hours on low settings. And, the heater is a personal space heater without any fan. As a safety feature, it also includes an auto-shutoff system for tip-over protection or while detecting low oxygen levels.
Moreover, you can also enjoy high to low heat settings with this portable heater. With regards to performance-wise, the heater is worth consideration and provides the desired temperature in a large room.
- Runs on 4000 or 9000 BTU per hour.
- Uses LP Liquid Propane.
- The area it can heat is up to 225 sq. Ft.
- It also includes accidental tip-over safety and shut off feature
- You can connect it directly with 20 lb. of the cylinder with optional filter and hose
- It also includes a four-position control with inbuilt Piezo igniter and hi/low heat settings.
- Good safety features
- Easily adaptable with economical Liquid Propane or LP bottles
- Easy to replace LP bottle
- Swivel regulator for additional ease of connection
- Emits terrible smell if the valve is not cleaned properly
- No oscillation
6 – DeLonghi Radiant Heater TRD40615E with Full Room Heating
The biggest and heaviest of all radiant heaters is the DeLonghi Heater weighing about 26.6 lbs. You can efficiently heat from medium to large area with this heater. Its power consumption can be noted at 1500 Watts, and the design is also innovative for an eye-catchy look. There is a digital display along with a 24-hour timer. You can set it to almost three heat settings at 700W, 800W, and 1500W.
For the concerned safety, you are getting features such as auto restart, auto shut off and cool to the touch. Also, it contains an anti-freeze setting. The adjustable thermostat is another advantage of having this heater. For simple maneuverability, it comes with carrying handles and wheels with the outer rust-resistant metal body.
- It comes with three heat settings and a 24-hour programmable timer.
- There is a digital display for ease of operation.
- The safety features include overheating protection and anti-freezing protection.
- The large size enables to offer heat in 25% more area as compared to conventional heaters.
- The design is based on the patented thermal chimney to ensure maximum heat flow at low surface temperature.
- Large size
- Maximum heat flow
- Digital display
- Worthy safety features
- Includes handles and wheels for easy maneuverability
- No tip-over protection
7 – NewAir Garage Heater G56 5600 Watt for 560 sq. Ft.
It’s one of the best electric garage heaters by NewAir with a system specifically designed for even heating in all areas. The heater also looks quite attractive with all black stainless steel material. So, you don’t have to worry about anything like rust and all. For portability, the heater is provided with a nice handle at the top.
It can provide heat from 45 degrees to 95 degrees. There are controls provided over its bottom panel such as power indicator, fan settings with an auto, and switch on button and heat adjuster from 45 to 90 degrees. Its steel casing protects the heater from getting anything inside.
- You are getting all the controls in its bottom panel at fan settings, power, and heat adjuster.
- It can adjust the heat from 45 to 90 degrees.
- Heat a large area at a maximum of 560 sq. Ft.
- You are also provided with a 6-inch cord for easy transferability.
- It operates over a 240V plug and draws a power of 30 amp to produce 19,110 BTUs.
- Well-built keeping in mind the safety features
- All steel material
- Inbuilt thermostat
- The cord is too long
8 – Lasko Ceramic Portable Space Heater 754200
Lasko presents it’s another range of high-quality portable space heater for smaller rooms or little outdoor spaces. It also comes with an option of the adjustable thermostat to offer you effective heat solutions, even in small areas. You can use it in bathrooms, offices, small bedrooms, and other small to medium-sized rooms. It also contains a ceramic heating element and convection heating to run the heater well.
There is not even any buzzing or hissing sound coming out of the heater. Its low setting is rated at 900W, which is good to save power. To reduce the risk of burning or fire, it is equipped with cool to the touch protection. Since it is already assembled, so you don’t have to install anything and can make it work out of the box. Furthermore, the Lasko is providing 11 various settings for the heater.
- Regarding the safety concerns, the heater comes with over-heat protection.
- Its heating area coverage is mentioned at 300 sq. ft.
- The adjustable thermostat is also inbuilt to adjust the 1500 Watt ceramic element of heating.
- There are three quiet settings at low heat, high heat, and fan only.
- Small size to fit over the desk
- High maneuverability
- Maximum heat flow
- Three settings for heat
- No oscillation feature
- Not for large room
- May buzz when settled at high heat setting
9 – DOUHE Portable Ceramic Heater Electric Space Heater
DOUHE holds an impressive design feature among these heaters. This is made up of fireproof and flame retardant ABS V0 materials for durability. Moreover, all its components meet the 3C standard and are ETL certified. To give you a comfortable heating experience in winter, it has extensive heating functions with a total of three heat settings. Also, there is a PTC ceramic heating feature for quick and efficient heating of the room.
Determine the small size by its measurements as 5.3 × 5.3 × 8.2 inches. The time it takes to start heating your area is one second only. So, by being minimally designed, the heater is also rapid in heat emission. Easy to use controls are also provided at the top of the heater, albeit no remote control is offered.
- The heater comes with both overheating and tip-over protection.
- The dimensions of this small portable heater are 5.3 × 5.3 × 8.2 inches.
- It is lightweight that also allows you an extensive heat range with three heat settings.
- The body of this heater is made up of fireproof and flame retardant ABS VO materials.
- For easy movability, it is built with carrying on handles.
- Fast heating process
- Portable with minimal size
- No remote control
- Not for a large area of heating
10 – Ceramic Portable Space Heater with Adjustable Thermostat by Givebest
Givebest presents us with a handy ceramic portable heater that is affordable as well as versatile for multi-purpose usage. There is a handle over the top for easy transferability from one place to another. Well, the size is also providing this easy maneuverability option. You can note its dimensions at 6.2” × 7” × 9.2”. The heater is equipped with a tip-over as well as overheating protection for safety concerns. And, there are well-built ceramic plates for efficient heating mechanism.
Its three heating modes are as 750W/1500W/ Cool Blow Fan. Along with the heat settings, you can also adjust the blower of the fan with the button provided. The adjustable thermostat is also an advantage in such a small heater. The sturdy and durable ceramic plates are an added advantage. Unlike infrared heaters, this portable heater with energy efficiency features may prove to be the best solution for effective heating within the small area.
- The measurements of the heater are provided at 6.2” × 7” × 9.2”.
- Its three heat settings are as 750W/1500W/ Cool Blow Fan.
- The operation is also not so loud, unlike other cheap and noisy heaters.
- Its safety features include overheating and tipping over protection.
- Three heat settings
- Quiet operation
- Includes one-year manufacturer guarantee
- May emit chemical smell initially
- Cannot be used in humid or damp space
Best Portable Heater Buying Guide
Most people prefer buying portable heaters as they are not luxurious rather a necessity for energy and cost savings. It is a useful way to quickly add warmth and raise your room temperature to any space. Available in a variety of styles and sizes, you should take into consideration some fundamental questions and different factors provided in this buying guide.
Types of portable heaters
Given below are various kinds of portable heaters with regards to the mechanism used to heat the room.
There is a kind of ceramic heating element built within the ceramic heaters. This heating element is known to self-regulate the temperature without using any coils or wiring to generate heat. Ceramic heaters are one of the best portable space heaters preferred as they are safe to use with regards to reliability, heating, and durable life. Its features allow reducing the temperature based upon the desired temperature level automatically.
Infrared heaters are also known as radiant infrared heaters that typically uses the concept of transferring energy into heat over the surrounding objects and people. There are two main kinds of heating elements used in infrared heaters.
- Tubular heating element
This is a reliable heating element used to heat metal wires, which ultimately transfer heat for the desired warmth. The factor is similar that you would find in a stove or an oven.
- Quartz Tubes
It is built with a Nichrome heating wire, including 20% chromium and 80% nickel. These materials are generally encapsulated within the Quartz tube.
As the name suggests, oil-filled heaters generate heat through diathermic oil within the heater. The process of micathermic heating and natural convection is used in oil-based filters. Firstly, the oil gets dispersed through heater fins while spreading the warmed oil. This oil then gets transferred to you with the help of a radiant heating system.
5 Main Factors To Be Considered Before Buying Best Portable Heater
When it comes to buying the best portable heater, the requirement of certain features is necessary to come up with the high quality and top-performing products.
Type of Heater
First and foremost, you should be clear about what kind of portable heater or tankless water heater you should go for. You can select from the above information for the reference. However, the most efficient way to choose the energy-saving product is ceramic heaters. They are known to be the best among the three main kinds of heaters. In case you are using liquid fuel of natural gas, then selecting the best radiant heater or oil-filled heater is the best option.
One of the essential elements to take note of is what area or size of the room your portable heater is covering. The rating of heater wattage also determines it. Generally, a heater with a power of 10 watts covers almost one square foot. So, a heater with 1500 watt heating capacity can easily cover an ample space of 150 square feet or more. Well, some portable heaters also include more areas depending upon the indoor environment and the heating technology used.
If not checked properly, portable heaters can even become dangerous fire hazards for your company. So, considering safety is an essential element. A portable heater with useful safety features significantly reduces the risk and provides secure operation. Main safety features include overheating protection and tip-over protection that typically makes the device valuable and safe to use.
Portable heaters are mostly electric. So, it’s a waste to buy a portable heater without an energy-efficiency feature. They are usually considered to get low energy bills. Because of the ease of use and high portability, portable electric heaters cannot be ignored entirely. Thus, the portable heaters that can save a lot in your electricity bills are energy-efficient. Additional energy-saving modes such as programmable timers, low wattage, and adjustable thermostats help to minimize the usage of power and contribute to the economic operation.
Some electrical appliances emit unbearable sounds during the process. This should not be the thing if you are looking for the best portable heater. It will do nothing except disturbing your lifestyle with disgusting fans, only sounds or other noises. So, you should always consider non-fan-forced heaters or the ones with a shallow sound that is not disturbing.
Reasons To Buy Portable Space Heaters
This buying guide can tell you very valid reasons for buying a portable heater and why it is the preferred choice for most households.
Low maintenance costs
Portable heaters require deficient maintenance. Proper usage and simple cleaning are enough to get high functioning for a long time. Also, you will incur more benefits from electric garage heaters than kerosene, gas, and other oil heaters. They don’t require any regular type of refilling.
Cost and Energy Savings
Unlike other standard furnaces, portable heaters provide heat only in the desired areas, thereby avoiding wastage of energy and saving in electricity bills. In this way, overall costs incurred to portable heaters are much less as compared to the centralized heating system.
No requirements of ventilation systems
Due to the small size and operating efficiency of portable heaters, you do not need any ventilation system attached to them. However, the centralized heating system cannot be taken into use without proper installation of vent systems.
Easy to install
You need to plug in the cord or attach the gas tank to the portable heater, and your work is done. In the case of a portable electric heater, installation is much more straightforward as you are only required to plug in the heater’s extension cord into the switchboard and switch on the heater. On the other hand, the heaters that run on liquid gases or oil are somewhat little time consuming but easy to install than the central heating system.
Convenient to use
How interesting is that if you are getting warmth or heat while working on the desk or in the kitchen etc. Well, this facility of convenient use is only provided by portable heaters. You can use them comfortably and shift from one place to another without any difficulty. So, along with being functional, you are also getting all user-friendly features in a portable heater.
Some FAQs for The Best Portable Heater
The energy-efficient heaters are always the cheapest heaters to run. They may cost you a little high in price, but the cost-saving and energy-efficiency features make them smart among all. Even the popular heaters that run on natural gas also comes with risk factors, albeit the low cost. Another thing is that small electric heaters are also the cheapest to run as compared to large heaters. Well, you should always choose the heater based upon the requirements of your area.
No, the portable heaters don’t use a lot of electricity as they are power efficient and comes with individual heat settings. It doesn’t mean that if the portable heater heats well, then it is also consuming a lot of electricity for the purpose. Space portable heater consumes typically between 750 to 1000 Watts, which is a great deal than using heaters that run on kerosene or another kind of fuel. They don’t use a lot of electricity because of operational efficiency.
The heat they provide goes into the room where the heater is placed, whereas other standard furnaces lose a lot of energy in ducts and don’t able to provide enough heat in the equipped area.
A portable heater is surely a money-saving option if it is equipped with an excellent adjustable thermostat. It is generally the best and will save you a lot on electricity bills. The other essential features are a programmable timer, multiple heat settings, and oscillating ceramic function counts among substantial energy-efficient features. If these things are also present within your portable heater, then no one can stop you from saving in electricity bills. Furthermore, you should wisely use the heater to cut on electricity bills. For instance, you should always turn down the thermostat or wear warm clothes.
The DeLonghi Radiant Heater may prove to be the best portable heater for your basement. To make your basement a great rec room or for using other utilities, heaters are the best options to use there. Well, if you are considering basements, then radiant heaters may be the best choice to go for. Also, a heater that is being used in the cellar should come with adequate safety features such as tipping over or overheat protection.
On the other hand, infrared heaters with excellent safety features are also a considerable choice for basements. This is because they can keep the air clean from any toxins or chemicals and maintain proper humidity while also saving costs.
You may find that all the portable electric heaters provided are rated at 100% efficiency, such as the Honeywell Portable Heater. The reason is the conversion of all the electricity into the heat. They are energy efficient, but they may not be as cost-effective as the heaters that run mainly on oil or gas. At the same time, while using the oil or gas heaters, you are also prone to safety issues related to your health or fire. Remember that if its watt ratings are high, then it’s costly to run.
The answer is happily no if you are looking for a heater that runs on fuel or liquid propane. Usually, the portable electric heaters include convector heaters, halogen heaters, fan heaters, traditional electric bar fires, and other oscillating fans, while the ones that don’t run on electricity are mainly in conventional stove design or radiant heaters.
The heater works calmly, and with the self-regulating ceramic heating element, it is one of the perfect choices. These are reviews and a buying guide of Top 10 best portable heaters to give a try in 2020. Convenience and suitability to use are what we have considered in mind before choosing the products for you. Choose from the best based upon your preference and get the product delivered at your home within the estimated time.