Molds are the growth of multicellular filaments of fungus and can be found almost everywhere. Lichens generally grow in a humid atmosphere. These can develop at any place, both indoors and outdoors, with the moisture in it. These are responsible for various health problems in humans and are required to be cleaned to have a healthy environment.
There are various techniques to get rid of mold, and these all depend upon the types of mold you are dealing with. There are many Mold removers available in the market, and it might confuse you to select the best Mold Remover for your place.
In this article, we will inform you of all the facts associated with molds along with their different types. We will also help you gain an understanding of the mold removers and their constituency. We hope that this knowledge will help you find the most suitable and best mold remover kit for yourself.
- Top 10 Best Mold Remover 2020 Reviews and Buying Guide
- 1 – MR Professional Strength Instant Mold and Mildew Stain Remover
- 2 – RMR-86 Instant Mold Stain and Mildew Stain Remover & Mold Stain Blocker
- 3 – Skylarlife Home Mold & Mildew Remover Gel Stain
- 4 – CleanSmart Daily Surface Cleaner for the Bathroom
- 5 – Tilex Mold & Mildew Remover
- 6 – Micro Balance EC3 Laundry Additive
- 7 – Wet and Forget 10587 Moss, Mold and Mildew Stain Remover
- 8 – 303 Mold and Mildew Cleaner + Blocker
- 9 – Concrobium Mold Control Household Cleaners
- 10 – DuPont Stonetech Mold and Mildew Stain Remover
- Best Mold Remover Buying Guide
- Impact of Molds on Human Health
- Molds – Where Do They Grow?
- Mold Removers
- Mold Removal Process
- Relevant Tips To Prevent The Molds
- FAQs On Best Mold Remover
Top 10 Best Mold Remover 2020 Reviews and Buying Guide
Mold Removers are necessary to keep your home, and environment free of allergy-causing molds. Molds can grow anywhere there is an exposure to moisture. Thus, it becomes crucial to choose a mold remover that is efficient and effective. In this article, we will be reviewing 10 of the best mold remover products available in the market.
1 – MR Professional Strength Instant Mold and Mildew Stain Remover
MR Professional Instant Mold Remover is one of the best products that work effectively on both mold and mildew. For an instant mold and mildew stain remover, this product works wonders. The product is effective both indoors and outdoors and removes mold and mildew from any surface. Manufacturer of this product has put quite a lot of thought into the composition, and for a bleach-based product, this works even more that it promises.
What makes this product an immense success amongst its users is that it has a powerful bleaching action, which kills mold effectively. This product removes mold and mildew from almost all the surfaces, ranging from tiles to steel to wood. The presence of mold and mildew pose a health threat and makes the environment unsuitable. It is of higher risk for the children to be exposed to mold. So, if you are coping up with the toxic mold at your home, you should try this product and witness the magic it produces.
- Instant Mold and Mildew Stain Remover
- Prevents mold from spreading and kills it
- Versatile Cleaning product can be used at almost any surface.
- Powerful Bleaching product
- Owns the legacy and has been in the industry for the last 20 years
- Safe, professional strength quality
- Ready to use
- Works quickly and efficiently
- Handles tough jobs
- Safe to be used around children
- Effective on all surfaces
- Qualitative as well as Quantitative
- Does not cover a large area
- Produces strong fumes while using. A cover mask is needed.
- Is not effective upon clothes
- A little expensive compared to its counterparts
2 – RMR-86 Instant Mold Stain and Mildew Stain Remover & Mold Stain Blocker
RMR-86 Instant Remover is one of the best mold remover, which is simple to use and quick in action. All this cleaning product requires is 15 seconds or so to act upon the severe mold and cleans the surface effectively. This product helps in removing mold and mildew without any excessive scrubbing or sanding. All that is required is to apply this mold and mildew cleaner onto the surface covered with mold and wait. This product works for itself and kills mold and effectively disinfect the area.
This product has wondrous effects and can be used to clean any part of the house. This is a bleach-based product and works on all the surfaces like tiles, fiberglass, sidings, concrete, vinyl, etc. This product has also shown significant effects on wood and drywall. People owning a boat consider this product best amongst its competitors. It is produced on both the new mold stains as well as the more hardened molds and can clean the minutest areas as well.
- An active mold and mildew cleaner
- Kills mold effectively and leaves no residue behind
- Powerful bleach-based product
- Comes in spray bottles
- Easier to use
- Ready to use, requires no mixing
- A gallon of the product can cover a large area
- It works quickly and provides results in mere seconds
- A budget-friendly product
- The product works anywhere and everywhere
- Constitutes of harmful chemicals
- It has a strong smell of chlorine bleach which impacts upon the breathing if not used a mask.
- Not safe to be used near children as it produces fumes when it comes in contact with water while removing the mold.
3 – Skylarlife Home Mold & Mildew Remover Gel Stain
The most exposed area to moisture in our home is our bathroom or our kitchen sinks. It has been often observed that, if not cleaned regularly and efficiently, mold grows at a faster pace in the bathrooms or kitchen sink. The Skylarlife mold and mildew cleaner is a product specifically designed to clean the showers and toilet. It is a gel-based formula known to be the best mold remover for the tiles and grout. The gel goes deep into the crevices and cracks and removes mold mildew stains from their roots itself.
It is easy to handle and use the product. The usage technique involves pouring the gel over the tiles or grout covered with mold and let it sit for some hours. The benefit of gel is that it remains intact and does not leak or spread to other places like its liquid counterparts. While using the product, it is relevant to be kept in mind that it should only be poured over the dry areas. After a few hours, it can be rinsed, and you will find your tiles or grout as clean as new.
- Gel Based Strong formula
- The packaging is easier to deal with and comes with a nozzle
- A Tile-specific cleaning product
- No leakage. Stays at the same place where applied
- Reduced labor
- Cleans the surface brilliantly leaving it as good as new
- Easier to apply and use
- Gel formula clings to the surface
- Covers the deep crevices as well
- Can be used to clean windows as well
- A bit challenging to squeeze the gel out of the bottle while cleaning a long stretch
- It can sometimes bleach the surfaces as well.
4 – CleanSmart Daily Surface Cleaner for the Bathroom
CleanSmart Daily cleaning product is a surface cleanser which helps killing germs, molds, viruses, fungus as well as bacteria. This product is versatile. On the one side, it can be used as a product which removes mold and mildew, and prevents mold, while on the other hand it can be used as a daily surface disinfectant. It helps you get rid of mold in the most natural way possible. It does not emit or produce any toxic chemicals, and the best part about the product is that it changes into saline water once the cleaning is done.
If you are looking for a product which is safe yet manages to kill mold and remove mold mildew stains, this is the best mold remover for you. All that is required is to spray the product over the area covered with mold completely submerging it and leave it to sit. After some time you can easily clean the area. This product does not include any harmful chemicals and can be used in routine life as an all-purpose cleaner.
- Good Packaging
- An excellent cleaning product for daily use
- Contains Hypochlorous Acid
- Removes 99.9% of germs and mold
- Can be used as a surface cleaner
- Safe to use as it does not contain any harsh chemicals.
- It does not emit any fumes, instead, changes into the saline water.
- Hypochlorous acid is a natural disinfectant which prevents mold and keeps germs at bay.
- A time-consuming process as it takes time to remove the mold
5 – Tilex Mold & Mildew Remover
Tilex is one of the most trusted mold removers for the bathrooms. It works wonders upon the non-porous surfaces like tiles, plastics, vinyl, etc. and does not require any scrubbing or sanding to get the mold away. This mildew remover spray kills mold and effectively removes mold mildew stains to give you a clean and germ-free home. This bleach-based product ensures the prevention of mold and mildew from their roots and assures you a mold-free bathroom.
Though it is a bleach-based product, the amount of bleach used in the composition is quite less. Thus, you can easily replace your ordinary bathroom cleaner with this product, and it will work magic in your bathroom. This product is known to be the best mold remover while cleaning the showers as it leaves them clean and impeccable. Also, its smart tube technology helps you to use every drop of the liquid to its best. The procedure of using the product is easy and requires you to spray the liquid onto the surface and then wipe it off after a few minutes. Just as simple as that!
- Most trusted cleaning product for Bathrooms
- Bleach Based product
- Removes mold and bacteria
- Smart Tube Technology
- Easy to use
- Powerful cleaning product
- Good Quantity and Good packaging
- Go-to bathroom cleaner. Can be used frequently.
- Provides overall protection from molds as well as germs and bacteria
- Only works on Non-porous surfaces
- Has a strong smell
- The liquid might leak if not stored properly
6 – Micro Balance EC3 Laundry Additive
Molds are the fungi that can grow anywhere there is an invisible presence of moisture. Many times our clothes absorb moisture and molds grow over them. Though your first instinct will be to throw that piece of cloth, the molds over the clothes can be cleaned as well. This product has gained its best mold remover tag when it comes to the clothes. The cleaning product is all-natural, and the composition includes tea tree oil, citrus seed oil, and a natural disinfectant.
EC3 Laundry Additive helps remove mold mildew stains and also deodorizes the cloth getting rid of mold smell. This product can be used with regular detergent while washing your clothes or can be used on its own. It also helps in cleaning the washing machine and to maintain a mold-free environment. Being a natural product, it can be added to the regular detergents often and would not have any side effect on clothes or skin.
- The product specifically designed for clothes
- A natural product containing citrus see oil, tangerine oil and tea tree oil
- Free of any harmful chemicals
- Safe to be used around children
- Provides a fresh and comforting smell to the clothes
- Removes mold and its spores efficiently
- Can be used regularly along with the detergent
- A natural product
- Can only be used on clothes
7 – Wet and Forget 10587 Moss, Mold and Mildew Stain Remover
Wet and Forget 10587 Moss mold and mildew stain remover is the best in the market for any outdoor surfaces. This product works well on surfaces like concrete, aluminum, brick, or roofs. It generally requires a sturdy product to clean the mold from the pavement. The remover provides convincing results while cleaning the mold from the concretes. Also, considered one of the best roof cleaners and is free of any acid or bleach.
Just as the name of the product suggests, the procedure involves wetting the area infected with the product and forgetting it. It has been considered the most amongst its competitors by the customers. Many reviewers have posted their positive reviews mentioning the ease and the benefits of the product.
- Contains no harmful chemicals
- Useful for outdoor surfaces
- Great at getting rid of the toxic mold from the concrete, roof or deck.
- Works quickly and is easy to use
- Can remove moss and algae along with mold
- Safe to use
- It is a bit expensive
- At times, it requires hard scrubbing to get rid of mold
8 – 303 Mold and Mildew Cleaner + Blocker
303 Mold Removal product is also enlisted as the best mold remover, which not only kills mold but also prevents mold from growing again. It removes mold mildew stains and blocks those effectively to provide a healthy and mold and mildew free environment at home. Though it works on numerous types of surfaces, its best use has been seen on leather. This product removes mold efficiently from leather, which can be deemed as a challenging task.
303 Mildew Cleaner is an instant mold and mildew stain remover, which starts its action as soon as it comes in contact with the mold. It comes in a handy spray bottle, and the usage procedure includes spraying it upon the area and then wiping it clean with a scrub.
- A Bleach free product
- Works on almost all surfaces including leather and vinyl
- Easily manageable and speedy action
- Contains no toxic chemicals
- Can be used upon clothes and leather
- Only works upon the water-safe surfaces
9 – Concrobium Mold Control Household Cleaners
The Concrobium mold control works upon different types of exteriors ranging from wood to tiles, concrete to stone, drywall to plastic and varied other surfaces. It does not contain any bleach or ammonia. Instead, it uses Sodium Carbonate to crush the mold and strangles it as the product is dried out. This product can be used both indoors and outdoors for removing mold from scratch.
Concrobium Mold remover is considered best to clean the wood as it does not emit fumes and does not have any potent odor but still manages to clean the surface entirely.
- Does not contain any harmful chemicals
- Works upon varied types of surfaces
- Easier to use
- Works efficiently for a wood
- Safe to be used as it is free of any bleach or ammonia
- Reviewed as the best mold remover by numerous users
- A quantitative product that covers a large area
- This product does not have any disadvantages as it works well and is safe to use
10 – DuPont Stonetech Mold and Mildew Stain Remover
DuPont Stonetech mold remover is specifically designed to remove mold and mildew from stones. Stoned patios are one of the surfaces which can be easily covered with mold as they are regularly exposed to mold. While they are created to be used by the families, the occurrence of mold inhibits the usage. The products available in the market can kill the mold, but they damage the stone as well with their powerful bleaching action. This product is a specially curated formula which prevents mold while not damaging the stone.
This product can not only be used upon the natural stones like limestone or marble but can also be used to clean mold from acid-sensitive stones, grout, and tiles (both ceramic and porcelain). This product is fast in action, and the spray bottle makes it easy to be applied.
- Bleach free product
- Formulated specifically for stones
- Is free of any other harmful chemicals
- Cleans mold and mildew as they were never present
- Has a fresh scent
- Does not harm the stones
- Safe to be used
- This product is recommended highly amongst its competitors and does not have any specific disadvantages
Molds can exist at any surface, and the users need to use the products that are suitable for the particular surface type. There are some of the best mold test kits available in the market which can help you identify the type of mold and what product will be suitable to kill it. It is always recommended to buy products based upon the reviews as they help you compare the products and choose the best mold remover that suits your problem. We hope that this article, with a detailed description of 10 of the best mold remover products, will help you make a wise purchase decision.
Best Mold Remover Buying Guide
To purchase the best mold remover for your home, it is vital for you to know molds. The market is flooded with mold removers, and it might be challenging to choose rightly amongst them. One must perform a substantial amount of research before making their purchase.
Molds are highly contagious, and it is crucial to get rid of mold. They grow both indoors and outdoors. All they require is a damp place, and they will multiply. Once performing your search upon the mold removers, it is essential to understand what type of mold or mildew you are dealing with. This is because different strains of fungi react differently to separate chemicals, and you must know whether your product works on the mold present in your home.
Also, it is vital to know the exact ingredients of the mold remover because they might contain toxic chemicals, which may cause problems during exposure. It might scare you at present, but we have incorporated all the necessary details into this article, which will help you find the best mold remover for your home.
Impact of Molds on Human Health
Molds are known to cause numerous health problems in human. They produce more problem to those who are either allergic to them or are already suffering from the lower level if Immunity. Molds have also been seen to impact the health of toddlers.
Exposure to Molds can cause eye irritation, nasal infection, coughing or throat infection, or frequent headaches. There have been symptoms of skin irritation as well in some people. A healthy infant, when exposed to mold, can also develop a respiratory illness. The effect of molds can be associated with some of the severe problems as well. These include weakness, poor memory in some, developing sensitivity to light, shortness of breath, or chronic cough.
All of this may affect the quality of an individual’s life. Thus, it becomes imperative to get rid of mold to sustain a healthy and disease-free environment.
Molds – Where Do They Grow?
Molds can be found anywhere, and everywhere there is moisture present. Molds can enter your house through windows or vents or the open doorways or air conditioning systems and can cover a large area of your home. You can also be a carrier of mold. As the molds are present in the air as well, they might get attached to your clothes, bags, or shoes and can enter your home.
Also, Molds can grow around the leaks in the roof or around the pipes as well. There are other products as well upon which molds can persist like paper products or wood products or cardboards. They can also penetrate through the dust and can flourish on the carpets, insulation, dry walls, wallpaper, or paint. So, there is hardly a place where the molds cannot show their presence. Thus, it becomes all the more important to have the right cleaning product and get rid of mold.
There are numerous products available in the market that can be useful to get rid of mold. These products can be classified into two categories:
1. Home Based Products
These are the products that are readily available at home or can be purchased from a departmental store, next door. These mold removers have a simple composition, and some of these products act as best mold remover. These products are as following:
A. Bleach: Bleach is a powerful remover that removes mold and mildew. Almost every species of mold can be killed with bleach.
Advantages: Bleach contains Sodium Hypochlorite, which causes harsh fumes when it comes in contact with any object. When poured over the area with molds, the powerful bleaching action produces fumes that kill mold. This can be diluted with water and apply the prepared solution in the area with mold growth.
Disadvantages: The main limitation of using Bleach is that it works only on non-porous objects like tiles, glass, etc. For porous objects, Bleach is not able to penetrate through them and thus, cannot eradicate the mold. Also, the harmful chemicals in bleach may damage the object.
B. Borax: Borax is a natural cleaning product and prevents mold efficiently as it acts as a natural mold inhibitor.
Advantages: Borax can be used to remove mold from porous as well as non-porous material. It also does not produce any fumes and thus, has no health hazard.
Disadvantages: Borax contains some toxic chemicals. So, if swollen, it can cause the death of the person.
C. Vinegar: Vinegar can also be used to kill mold naturally. All that is required is to add vinegar in a spray bottle and spray it over the mold surface and leave it. It contains a mild acid that will kill the mold. One can afterward clean the surface.
Advantages: Since it is a mild acid, it does not cause any harm and is natural and safe. Also, Vinegar is effective on around 83% of the total mold species.
Disadvantages: There are no disadvantages of using Vinegar as it is non-toxic but works well on toxic mold.
D. Ammonia: Ammonia is an effective means to kill any mold. While using ammonia, it is notable for diluting it. So, mix equal quantities of ammonia and water in a spray bottle and use it over the mold surface.
Advantages: Ammonia is an efficient product that removes mold and mildew quickly.
Disadvantages: Though a powerful cleaning agent, it also works on only non-porous surfaces and cannot remove mold from the porous surfaces. Also, it constitutes of harsh and toxic chemicals. So, it is significant to handle ammonia carefully.
E. Hydrogen Peroxide: Hydrogen peroxide is a natural mold remover as it has anti-fungal properties.
Advantages: It can be used to remove mold from any material, be it walls, drywall, clothes, or any other place. It is also considered safe to use and does not cause any damage to the environment. Also, it has bleaching properties as well. So, it can also be useful in removing mold mildew stains.
Disadvantages: Since it also acts as a bleaching agent, it might affect the color of the material it has been used on.
F. Baking Soda: Baking soda is a natural and well-known mold and mildew cleaner. It also plays an essential role in other household cleaning processes.
Advantages: Baking soda comprises of mild acid and is the least harmful product. Also, Baking soda acts as a cleaner as well as a deodorizer. So, it also helps in getting rid of the smell of mold. It also absorbs the moisture. So, Baking soda is an easy way to keep the mold away from your home.
G. Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree oil is the most effective, of all the natural means, to get rid of mold.
Advantages: Tea Tree Oil has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties and is sufficient for every type of mold. Also, it is an essential oil and thus, utterly harmless to human beings.
Disadvantages: Though it is the best mold remover, it is expensive as well.
2. Market-Based Products
Other than the products that are readily found at home, there are unique mold remover products manufactured by different companies. These products constitute of various chemicals. The composition of each product is different but is built for the same purpose, to remove mold. The market-based products are also of numerous types and can be broadly classified as:
A. Instant Mold and Mildew Stain Remover
B. Mildew Remover Spray
C. Concrobium Mold Control
Mold Removal Process
The mold removal process, at home, is quite simple. It constitutes of following steps:
- First and foremost is to locate the areas which are infected by molds. Since mold spreads, there are chances of other areas to be contaminated.
- Once the mold is established, it is noted to select the mold remover you are going to use.
- Prepare the solution and add it to the spray bottle or a container. If the mold remover is a strong one, few sprays will help kill the mold, but if you are using a gentle remover, it is critical to soak the mold in the solution and let it sit for some time.
- Clean the dead mold from the surface and clean the adjoining areas as well using a disinfectant. It is relevant to cover yourself during the procedure so that you do not catch any allergy.
- Lastly, get rid of the material with the mold growth that is difficult to clean.
But if the mold growth is on a larger scale and covers a large area, it is wise to call a professional mold removal team as they are equipped with all the vital equipment and follow safety measures as well.
Relevant Tips To Prevent The Molds
After using the best mold remover and making you home clean of mold, it is necessary to maintain that healthy environment in your house. If not be careful, the molds can grow again and might be challenging to control.
It is noteworthy to take into consideration the following steps to get rid of the mold, permanently and for good:
- It is noted to check the moisture level of your house regularly and keeping it in check. As mentioned earlier, molds grow on moisture. If moisture levels are maintained in control, the molds will not have a favorable environment to grow in. This could be done by installing de-humidifiers or a reliable air conditioning system.
- It is equally important to fix any leaks or plumbing issues well within the time to not allow the molds to enter and flourish again.
- In case of any plumbing problem, after rectifying it, it is necessary to clean your house thoroughly so molds will have no chance to grow.
- It is also required to have proper ventilation at your place. Often in rainy seasons or while cleaning your house, humidity level increases. An adequate exhaust or ventilator will help you keep the humidity in check.
- Clean and dry your clothes thoroughly before wrapping them as these can be the carrier to molds.
- Any carpet that is wet and cannot be cleaned immediately needs to be removed from your house. Also, rugs must not be used in the moisture-rich areas of your home.
- While painting, it is of great importance to add mold inhibitors into your paint, as this will help you keep molds away from the walls of your house.
- Also, it is of considerable significance to clean your bathrooms, every once in a while, using the products that kill mold.
- One must clean their roof with a roof cleaner now and then.
- Lastly, you should test your house frequently for the risk of molds. There are numerous mold test kits available in the market, and some can be made at home as well. All you need to do is get your hands on the best mold test kit and perform the test at your home at places with a higher risk of mold development.
Taking care of the points mentioned above will help you make your home mold free and have a healthy environment to live in.
FAQs On Best Mold Remover
There are specific frequently asked questions related to the mold removal process that tend to satisfy the people more easily. Following are some of the FAQs answered:
Numerous home-based products are natural and efficient at removing the mold and mildew. Tea Tree Oil is the most effective when it comes to killing the mold naturally. However, Vinegar and Baking Soda are also beneficial means.
Though all types of molds have a certain amount of health hazards, there are no toxic effects found for black mold. However, just like other molds, massive exposure of black mold may trigger allergic reactions and respiratory issues.
RMR 86 is a mold remover and is considered as best mold remover in the present day. It is a revolutionary new product and is valid on every type of mold. It can help remove the mold from any material, be it porous or non-porous. It is a fast-reacting product that reduces the cleaning time and provides effective results. It is a bleach-based product and works as an instant mold and mildew stain remover.
Both Vinegar and Bleach are home-based products, but bleach constitutes harmful chemicals and emits toxic fumes when it comes in contact with the surface. Also, it might damage the surface with its harmful chemicals. Lastly, bleach is only useful for non-porous surfaces. Thus, Vinegar is better to kill the mold as it is sufficient for killing around 83% of mold species and does not produce any harmful chemicals in the quest of killing the mold.
Nowadays, numerous products in the market kill mold and mildew instantly. But for the standard homeowners, Hydrogen peroxide proves to be a boon as it is known to kill the mold immediately.
With the home-based or market-based products, it is easier to clean the molds yourself, but for a more significant manifestation, it is advised to call a professional mold removal team and let them handle the process, so that you don’t catch any allergy.
Molds are quite prevalent in humid places and are known to have specific health effects upon humans. Thus, it becomes crucial to get rid of the mold.
There are numerous mold remover products available at home and in the market, and the process of choosing the best mold remover can become overwhelming. In this guide, we have tried to sort the process of selecting the best mold remover for your home. We sincerely hope that our article will help you out of your confusion and will enable you to make a wiser purchase decision.