Infrared thermometers are handy devices when we need to measure the temperature of an object from a distance without touching it. So, using this thermometer, engineers and other professionals can obtain accurate measures of temperature where no other temperature measurement device used.
It also serves as a maintenance tool as it identifies the troublesome areas as it can quickly isolate the hot spots even without getting in contact with them. They come in a range of product quality with a variety of applications. So, knowing how to pick the best infrared thermometer would allow you to buy the appropriate thermometer for your use.
- Top 10 Best Infrared Thermometer Reviews For 2023
- 1 – EtekcityLasergrip 1022 Infrared Thermometer Temperature Gun
- 2 – Etekcity Lasergrip 774 Infrared Thermometer
- 3 – Fluke 561 HVAC Pro Infrared Thermometer
- 4 – Extech 42512 Dual Laser Infrared Thermometer
- 5 – MOESForehead Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer
- 6 – EtekcityLasergrip 1025D Digital Dual Infrared Thermometer
- 7 – AmplimHospital Grade No Touch Digital Infrared Thermometer
- 8 – SUPER IR5D Laser Infrared Thermometer
- 9 – Health & Health Digital Infrared Thermometer
- 10 – Prove Infrared No Contact Thermometer
- Buying Guide To Know The Complete Information of Infrared Thermometer
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Top 10 Best Infrared Thermometer Reviews For 2023
The infrared thermometers should be chosen based on several important factors like the field of view, emissivity, temperature range, etc., Knowing all these variables and their optimal values is little tedious hence we created the list below taking care of all the possible variables to provide you with the best IR thermometer.
Exploring a product perfect for your needs will be easier if you have the apt information put in a simple and orderly manner as follows.
1 – EtekcityLasergrip 1022 Infrared Thermometer Temperature Gun
This industrial thermometer is useful to measure surface temperatures of inanimate objects but not the internal temperature or temperature from moving objects. It is helpful to measure temperature from AC units, air ducts, heaters, Barbecue grills, refrigerators, pools, ovens, other electrical appliances, and automobiles. Emissivity for various surface textures needs to be compensated for by adjusting, and this setting is available in the current IR thermometer.
The display screen is backlit and stays on for 15 seconds after it measures the accurate temperature for you to record it. You get instantaneous results just by pointing and scanning the required area with the help of a guided laser pointer. It comes with a 9V battery pre-installed into the equipment, and the charge indicator displays the remaining battery power on the LCD Display.
This thermometer uses a class 2 laser with an optical power of 0.5-0.9 Mw with an optimal measuring distance being 36 cms from the object. Usability from a distance makes it an ideal tool to use it to measure extreme temperatures you do come across, which are above boiling point or below freezing point.
- Temperature measurement range of -50℃ ~ 550℃
- ±2% /±2°C accuracy
- Resolution of 0.1°F /°C
- 12:1 distance to spot ratio
- Response time <500ms
- The adjustable emissivity of 0.1-1.0
- The infrared feature facilitates the measurement of temperature from a distance
- The <500ms response time provides us with quick results
- Wide temperature measuring range supports versatile uses
- Emissivity adjustment is an important factor provided to achieve accurate results
- LCD is backlit holds the reading for 15 seconds to allow noting them
- Manual Instructions not clear
2 – Etekcity Lasergrip 774 Infrared Thermometer
The yellow and black Lasergrip 774 thermometer coated with UV paint making it durable for daily use and maintains the exterior well. The 9V battery is used to power this thermometer, which makes it last longer as it provides plenty of power. Emissivity is fixed and is 0.95, with an accuracy of ±2%.
Its standard size allows the comfortable gripping, and the in-built laser provides support to point at the right object for taking temperature. It is easy to use as you just need to press the button to aim and shoot at the surface, pointing it out with the laser. Temperature is recorded instantly and displayed on the screen.
The display is backlit, allowing you to see the accurate reading for 15 seconds to note them down correctly. Measuring the surfaces that are hot or cold from a distance is possible with this gadget making it useful for many tasks. It is suitable for both home users as well as at work but not ideal for measuring human or animal body temperature.
- -58℉~ 716℉ (-50℃ ~ 380℃)measuring temperature range
- Class 2 Laser
- 0.5-0.9 Mw Optical power
- Backlit LDC with auto on/off
- Yellow and black body
- Useful to measure below freezing point and above the boiling point
- Can measure 1 inch of a spot from a distance of 12 inches accurately, guided by a laser
- The LCD screen turns off automatically when not in use saving the battery
- Supports conversion of temperature to various units instantly
- Provides rapid results with quick response time
- Not useful for checking internal food temperature and works only on the surface
3 – Fluke 561 HVAC Pro Infrared Thermometer
Fluke 561 is an industrial thermometer with double function as a contact thermometer using the thermocouple and the non-contact thermometer using the IR functionality. The Infrared thermometer used to measure a wide range of temperatures ranging from 40 to +550 degrees C with an accuracy of ±1 degree C. It can be used from a distance of 36 inches to note the surface temperature of an object. The inner temperature cannot be estimated using the IR thermometer function.
The type K thermocouple mechanism involves a probe that used to get in contact with the desired area to measure temperature. Powered by 2 AA batteries, and can be either alkaline or NiCD. Quick identification of issues is possible using the minimum, maximum, average, and different options available. LCD screen displays the current temperature as well as the calculated temperature using the MIN, MAX, DIF, and KTC. The large screen with the backlight also has provision for indicating a low battery. Three pre-set emissivity settings to help adjust emissivity quickly based on the surface you are measuring.
- Infrared thermometer – non-contact
- Thermocouple thermometer – contact
- Accuracy of ±1 degree Celsius IR Thermometer
- Accuracy of ±2 degree Celsius Type K thermocouple
- 40 to +550 degrees measuring temperature
- 0 to 100 degrees contact measurements
- Dual operating thermometer used with contact or non-contact
- Cables of 20 inches with probes used for contact temperature measurements
- Marked with CE as it complies with the directives of EU
- High accuracy for both types of thermometers
- Spot ratio is 12:1 making it ideal for measuring from a safe distance
- The manual does not have clear instructions on switching from Fahrenheit to Celsius
4 – Extech 42512 Dual Laser Infrared Thermometer
Extech 42512 IR thermometer has a distance to spot ratio of 30:1, indicating that it can accurately measure from a distance of 30 inches. Dual laser pinpoints the spot that you are measuring by converging the two points of the laser into a spot of 1 inch. This device uses a 9V battery, and the LDC display is backlit with a white-colored screen.
The time response of 0.15s provides the results quickly to take multiple readings and identify the spike or hot spots quickly. It has a lock setting for reading temperatures continuously. The measuring temperature range is -50 to 1000°C with an emissivity adjustment from 0.10 to 1.00, for measuring the correct temperature of various textured surfaces.
The handy IR thermometer is lightweight, plus it has an ergonomic design to grip it comfortably. The IR thermometer has double molded housing and durable for a long period. You can custom adjust the high and low-temperature ranges to sound alarm alerts for the set temperatures. This setting allows you to receive indications as you require and not depend on default settings.
- Max resolution of 0.1°F/°C
- 30:1 distance to spot ratio
- 0.15s response time
- 0.10 to 1.00 emissivity adjustment
- -50 to 1000°C measuring temperature range
- IR thermometer is sturdy and has a Dual laser spot identification technique
- Continuous readings are possible in the lock mode to identify hot spot
- Adjustable emissivity allows accurate readings for all types of surfaces
- Resolution of 0.1°F/°C allows precise measurement of temperature
- Customizable alarm setting for low and high temperatures is instrumental
- Temperature values cannot be uploaded to a computer.
5 – MOESForehead Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer
MoesForehead Digital Thermometer is useful for identifying fever without touching the body and uses infrared technology for this purpose. Color of LCD changes to green when normal, to orange for a slight fever, and red when high temperatures noted. An alarm beeps when the temperature found to be high.
Memory function to store the last 90 readings provided. Object mode allows measuring temperatures of an object such as Milk, water, wine, food, grilling, etc. Another button used to convert the unit of temperature instantly from one unit to another, i.e., °F and °C.
Measuring temperature from a range of 5 -8 cms gives you accurate results, and it has a quick response of <1s and measures very accurately. The non-touch method ensures no infections spread through the thermometer. It uses 3 AAA batteries and also has an auto power-off mode when not in use.
It can measure temperature even in the dark without disturbing the sick person. It is an ideal baby thermometer as you can measure the temperature without any discomfort to the baby. Comfortable handle with a large button that can be pushed easily while you target the proper subject or object makes it easy to use.
- Human body temperature measuring range:93.2-109.4℉
- Object temperature measuring range:32-199.4℉
- Accuracy ±0.2°C/0.4°F
- Response time <1s
- Measures accurately at 5-8 cms distance
- LED light glows in three different colors to indicate body temperature deviation from normal
- Modes for measuring object and human temperature with a different measuring range
- Memory storage facility for the last ten readings
- Change the unit for temperature from Fahrenheit to Celsius and vice versa
- Measures body temperature without contacting the body
- Batteries are not included with the thermometer and are to be bought separately
6 – EtekcityLasergrip 1025D Digital Dual Infrared Thermometer
Lasergrip 1025D acts as an IR thermometer and as a Non-Contact Voltage Tester supporting its versatile usage. The large field of view helps you to work from a safe distance from the high or low-temperature areas. Wide temperature measuring range and its accuracy allows it to be used almost everywhere in industrial usage.
Another essential feature is the NCV mode, which allows you to test the voltage within a range of 90V to 600V in electrical lines without using any contact tools. Using contact tools to measure the voltage can sometimes be dangerous if the faulty voltage is flowing through the power line. The voltage level values will not be displayed on the screen but indicated by the number of lines and a steady being noise identified the maximum voltage area.
A 9-volt battery is used for powering this device. It cannot be used for measuring the temperature of human beings or animals as it is designed only for non-moving objects. It can be used for home repairs, measuring the temperature of a barbeque grill, automobile maintenance, and many other commercial and industrial uses.
- -58℉~1022℉ Measurement temperature range
- NVC range of 90V to 600V
- Dual laser guidance
- emissivity adjustment provision
- ≥100°C±2% accuracy
- Backlit LCD screen that holds the temperature reading for 15 seconds
- Quick response time of <500ms for soon after you point towards the object
- Change the IR thermometer to NCV mode with a single click of a button
- Adjustable emissivity helps in processing accurate temperatures for various surfaces
- The versatile usage makes it an ideal device for home and industrial usage.
- NCV setting is hard to understand initially, and the manual does not have clear details
7 – AmplimHospital Grade No Touch Digital Infrared Thermometer
The medical-grade IR thermometer by Amplim is an accurate body temperature measuring thermometer, which is typically used at hospitals. It is also used by public places where there are many people to be tested but should not be touched due to fear of cross-contamination. It is ideal for use in places like daycares, clinics, schools, offices, and homes.
It is especially beneficial for measuring temperature for children, toddlers, and infants as they do not feel any sort of discomfort while you measure the temperature. The results are delivered fast and accurately than the traditional thermometers as the digital IR thermometer has a temperature sensor with super precision. Apart from the body measurement, they can also be used to measure the milk temperature in a bottle and room temperature.
Color of LCD changes when there is a difference in temperature. A hard storage case provided for keeping the thermometer safe, and it is portable so it can be carried with you anywhere easily. It uses 2xAAA batteries.
- 2xAAA battery powered
- Memory mode to access stored records
- Hard carry case
- Three colored LCD
- Beeping indication
- CE approved and FDA cleared product and hence safe to use
- Units switched from Celsius to Fahrenheit and vice versa
- High-quality temperature sensor for accurate measurement in seconds
- No-contact temperature measurement even in public places
- Beep sound needs to increase as it is faint
8 – SUPER IR5D Laser Infrared Thermometer
IR thermometer has a backlit LCD screen with white light, and the brightness can be modified as required. Adjustable emissivity, temperature unit change, function setting buttons are available on the device. The digital laser infrared thermometer has a crystal-clear display, and the device comes with nine possible parameters to adjust as per your need.
A 9V battery is required to power this device. It is designed sophisticatedly with quality materials like industrial gradient laser, advanced Fresnel lens; gold plated thick circuit boards with FR-4 and temperature sensor. You also have a meat thermometer included with the IR thermometer in this product as a combo.
Meat thermometer consumes only 15mAh, ensuring long battery life of 6-12 months of normal usage. The probe is made of stainless steel and is food grade, as you may use it by inserting it into the food, and it is safe to do so. It is used to measure the internal temperature of food, where the IR thermometer can measure the surface temperature only.
The auto-off feature after 8s helps you save the battery. The low battery indication is present on the screen. The screen is not backlit, and the thermometer has buttons to change the units of temperature, to hold the reading, set min, and max temperature and for power on/off.
- Temperature range of IR thermometer: -58℉～1022℉
- Response time for IR thermometer 0.5s
- ±1.5℃ or ±1.5% accuracy of IR thermometer
- Temperature range of meat thermometer: -50℃～300℃
- ±1℃/℉ accuracy of the meat thermometer
- The body of the device is made up of ABS plastic which is skin-friendly
- Emissivity adjustability and brightness adjustability are easy
- Meat thermometer has a long steel probe for checking internal food temperature
- Accurately measures the temperature of objects
- Needs a little knowledge with all the settings and options and not for newbies
9 – Health & Health Digital Infrared Thermometer
Health and Health digital thermometer designed for measuring human temperature, room temperature, and liquids like milk and water. It can measure temperature without touching the surface of the object or person, and by doing so, you can avoid spreading infectious diseases. Cross infection likelihood eliminated when you do not have the question of touching the surface.
The response time of the digital infrared thermometer is a few seconds, and the reading is accurate. The display is backlit and produced different colored background lights for different temperatures. For average temperature, it indicates the green color, yellow for a bit high and red for very high temperature indicating fever.
The no-contact possibility is due to the use of infrared technology. The IR technology works by absorbing the heat energy given out by the body and measures it. As it does not emit energy, it is not capable of causing any harm to your body. It requires 2 x AAA batteries and can measure between a range of 89.6°F to 109.2°F.
Switching between Fahrenheit and Celsius is possible using the start button itself, you just need to follow the easy steps as follows. Pressing the start button for 10 seconds displays the existing unit, then again, press the start button for the next 5 seconds; this will change the unit, and now, by switching off the device, you save the new unit. When you turn it on the next time, you can use it with the updated unit.
- Temperature range 89.6°F to 109.2°F
- Auto shut off system
- Memory function
- Alarm system
- Color changing display
- A simple two-button operation for measuring temperature using infrared technology
- Display lights in three different colors for various temperature range each
- Suitable for usage at home, hospitals, offices, restaurants, and public places
- Memory button used to access stored temperatures of up to 50 records
- The ergonomic design of the thermometer helps in easy handling
- No separate modes for adult and child for measuring body temperature
10 – Prove Infrared No Contact Thermometer
The thermometer comes with a carry pouch, a detailed operation manual, and a quick start guide. The device can perform versatile functions like measuring the temperature from the surface of the forehead without touching, the temperature inside the ear, the temperature of the room, or an object. It has adult mode and child mode that helps in grading a fever more accurately than other IR fever thermometers.
You need to remove the magnetic cover for measuring the temperature of the ear. The backlit screen displays colors according to the temperature reading. The color coding stands to be: blue- Power On/Standby, green- 32°C≤ 37.5°C, orange- 37.6°C ≤ 38.0°C, red – 38.1°C ≤ 42.9°C (100.6°F ≤ 109.2°F)
The readings are available in 1s and saved as data records for up to 40 values of them. You can measure food items by using it in the food mode and the room temperature measured in the room mode; similarly, any object temperature measured using the object mode.
Human temperature can be measured using two different settings as adult and child modes. The temperature can be measured at the forehead and inside the ear. For measuring the temperature on the forehead surface, you need just to aim and check, but for ear, you need to remove the cover and let the narrow tube as near as possible to the ear.
- Baby medical thermometer
- 1s response time
- Large digits displayed on an LCD screen
- Color graded Results
- 4 modes of temperature measurement
- Storability of 40 temperature values recorded on the thermometer
- Adult and child mode swap ability for accurate results
- Four different temperature measurement modes depending on the use
- Using color mode for the straightforward representation of temperature deviation
- Shuts down automatically when not in use saving power
- Does not include batteries, and you need to buy them separately
Buying Guide To Know The Complete Information of Infrared Thermometer
Infrared thermometers have a wide range of applications due to their ability to measure accurate temperature from a distance. They have medical industrial and many other vital uses. You need to know the below information before you plan to buy one.
Factors To Consider While Buying
The factors to consider before buying an IR thermometer are as follows.
Each object has surface texture and a returning capacity of the energy emittance. As IR thermometers measure the temperature using the energy radiated, the relative emittance of the surface plays a significant role in accurately determining the temperature. Hence IR thermometers with emissivity adjustment are a good pick, and this adjustment usually provided for an industrial applications-based thermometer.
Every IR thermometer has this value, and you need it to determine how much distance the 1-inch measuring spot forms. That will be the base measurement for expanding the area of coverage or pinpointing the field of analysis by moving forward or backward in the given range of distance.
The temperature range is high for industrial usage and low for medical usage as the needs differ, so do the values.
Not all thermometers are useful for every use. There are considerable machines to simple handheld devices based on the IR related to temperature. However, we get to use very few types in our daily life at home and work. Determine the use of it and then buy it. High range temperature thermometers differ from the low range devices in their uses.
Backlit display, alarm, customization, color light, etc., are fancy special features available to enhance your user experience. They may come with an additional cost. So, weigh the pros and cons of such an arrangement and buy them only if they are no burden on your pocket.
Types Of IR Thermometers
Though IR thermometers can be classified based on many factors, the most crucial factor is the lens through which they emit the IR rays. Based on the lens, there are three critical types of IR thermometers.
These IR thermometers are pretty small and do not have any lens. They just force the light into a small area using a funnel-shaped reflective surface. They are inexpensive and accurate, but the downside is they cannot withstand high temperatures and cannot measure from longer distances.
These are the lens made of plastic and are easily distorted when subject to extreme temperatures and require little in between resting time. Their temperature range is low but adequate for food-related measurements and usually uses in restaurants.
Industrial grade lens that withstands high temperatures and is expensive. They can work with much farther distances than the above two IR thermometers.
Benefits of IR Thermometers
IR thermometers are a boon to several services. Listed below are their few uses of many.
- No-contact body temperature measurement avoiding cross-contamination
- Measuring scorching body surface temperatures from a distance without danger
- Finding out electrical faults using the hot spot technology focused on overheating of components
- Identifying insulation issues
- Knowing the temperature of barbeque grills
- Measuring the coolness of a fridge
- Identifying the temperature of pool water
There is an endless list of possibilities, and you will find a new use every day once you own an IR thermometer. It does not only sort out serious stuff but also helps in having fun.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Below are some interesting questions that will help you understand better about IR thermometers.
Yes, Infrared thermometers are accurate. However, this depends on the apt usage of suitable thermometers for the proper need. Though all thermometers using IR technology are called IR thermometers, they are not the same. It is just a broad classification of an extensive range of devices. Industrial IR thermometers cannot measure the temperature of human bodies or animal bodies as designed for inanimate objects only. So is the case with medical thermometers that cannot catch the high range temperatures as the scope of the medical thermometers is limited.
Yes, but not all infrared thermometers are suitable for this purpose. These generally come under medical IR thermometers and have limited uses like measuring body temperature and everything else that falls between the range of the high low temperatures of the medical thermometer. Since its range is low, it cannot measure high heat-emitting objects or icy objects. So, this is where the industrial IR thermometers come into play. Industrial thermometers cannot accurately read body temperature as they do not deal with objects in motion.
Accuracy, emissivity adjustability, temperature range, distance to spot ratio, and resolution are essential to check for finding a good IR thermometer. Accuracy value should have the least possible error deviation, emissivity adjustability should be flexible and adjustable as required, and high and low measurement range should be according to your requirement. Distance to spot ratio considered as per your usage of how far or high things you need to measure, and the resolution help give precision accuracy.
You just need to point at the object from a specified distance range based on the thermometer model specifications. Then click the button you will get the temperature readings within the response time of that thermometer. Some models need few settings like emissivity adjusted for accurate temperature. For such thermometers instruction of setting proper values are provided in the manual of you can have plenty of information online. Usually, industrial need-based thermometers have these complicated settings, but medical IR thermometers have fewer settings and mostly come with predefined values and buttons for easy usage.
You require a digital laser infrared thermometer then this is the proper place to know everything you need to know about IR thermometers. Form how they measure surface temperatures to show you many more unimaginable ways you can use them. Every detail provided so that you find this guide comprehensive and the products to be of high quality. Now that you are aware of what a best-infrared thermometer should be like, you may desire to own such an interesting and useful device. If so, remember the above products are hand-picked after through research and hence deserve your attention.
James has been working with lot’s of power tool brands like Husqvarna, Makita and WORX for over 12 years. With his passion for power tools and gardening he is helping both consumers and businesses with his expertise. He now runs the editorial team at HomeGearExpert and loves to support local charities in his spare time.