Air compressors will allow you to carry out any type of project simply and easily. The compressed air will eliminate the need to put a lot of effort into performing home garage tasks. To make the compressor work, you will have to use a power tool along with that. One can say that air compressors have now become an integral part of shops or compressors for your home. Finding the best air compressor for home garage is a quite hectic task.
- Top 10 Best Air Compressor For Home Garage of 2020
- 1 – BOSTITCH Oil-Free Pancake Air Compressor
- 2 – PORTER-CABLE Oil-Free UMC Pancake Compressor
- 3 – California Air Tools Quiet And Light Portable Air Compressor
- 4 – Makita Big Bore Air Compressor
- 5 – Makita Electric Air Compressor
- 6 – California Air Tools Oil-Free And Quiet Air Compressor
- 7 – DEWALT Pancake Air Compressor
- 8 – Campbell Hausfeld Quiet Air Compressor
- 9 – EXCELL 2 Gallon Air Compressor
- 10 – DEWALT Portable Air Compressor
- Buying Guide Of Air Compressor For Home Garage
- Some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Top 10 Best Air Compressor For Home Garage of 2020
Here is a list of the top 10 best garage air compressor that has been picked up based on the verdict of professional mechanics and contractors. Before you purchase one, make sure you are doing a comparative study between the compressor for the home garage.
1 – BOSTITCH Oil-Free Pancake Air Compressor
BOSTITCH Oil-Free pancake compressor is lightweight and portable. One can use it to get a quiet working environment because it has an operational noise level of 78.5 dBA. Couplers and regulators for high flow maximize the performance of air power tools. The pump does not require maintenance and is oil-free. The motor is highly efficient that ensures easy start-up during the cold weather. The tank size with maximum capacity is 22.7 L. The couplers will support two different users.
- Maintenance-free pump
- Coupler and high flow regulator maximizes the performance of the air tool.
- Motor with high efficiency to ensure smooth startup during cold weather.
- Promote a quiet working environment with an operational noise level of 80dBA.
- The compressor is 29 lbs, which promotes portability.
- 150 maximum tank storage PSI.
- Low noise level
- Efficient motor
- Extension cord use
- Poor build quality
2 – PORTER-CABLE Oil-Free UMC Pancake Compressor
PORTER-CABLE oil-free compressor comes with zero maintenance as it offers quick recovery time and an oil-free pump. It has a 30-pound weight that makes it lightweight and portable so you can easily move it from one place to another. One can move it from one place to another or use an extension cord during the cold weather as an efficient motor with 120 amp runs it. The tank capacity is 6 gallons, and it has rubber feet.
The compressor also has 13 pieces in the accessory kit, and it ensures maximum performance as it offers 150 psi. 2.6 SCFM at 90 psi allows quick recovery time to the compressor. Plugs and air couplers are installed to prevent leaks and save the user from hard labor. The tank has the pancake style that offers optimal stability and has valves for water drainage. The product comes with a warranty of one year.
- No maintenance and oil-free pump
- Quick recovery time
- Optimal stability because of the pancake style design.
- Easy to store and carry
- Maximal performance of air tool with couplers and high flow regulator.
- It has rubber feet and a valve for water drainage.
- It can start using an extension cord.
- Comes with 13 pieces in the accessory kit
- Console and upgraded shroud protect the vital component of the compressor.
- No maintenance
- Heavy duty
- Optimal stability
- 6-gallon tank
- 80 dBA
- 150 max PSI
- Rubber feet
- Easy start during the winter season or heated garage in winter.
- Quick recovery time
- Poor build quality
3 – California Air Tools Quiet And Light Portable Air Compressor
California air tools or compressor is a powerful tool that has been designed for general, garage, or household usage. It will produce a quiet working environment with a noise level of 56 Decibels. You won’t have to spend money on maintenance as it is an oil-free pump. 29.5 lbs weight makes it easy to transport and store. The steel tank can hold 1.0 gallons. The motor of 0.6 HP operates at 1680 RPM; hence it creates less wear and noise. Motor designing offers durability and high performance.
The single-piston pump has 3000 plus hours life cycle. One can use it in different temperatures or uneven terrains. 1.2 CFM @ 90 PSI allows a person to use a nail gun, blowguns, airbrushes, finish nail guns, etc. The compressor is perfect for inflating tires, cleaning, sports balls, toys, beds, etc. The air tool can easily carry out heavy-duty performance.
- Steel air tank, and it is lightweight with 29 pounds.
- 120 PSI maximum pressure
- 3000 plus hours life cycle
- 56-decibels offer an ultra-quiet working environment.
- Less maintenance and oil-free
- Less wear and noise
- A single-piston pump provides durability and performance.
- It offers an impressive recovery time of 15 seconds from 90 to 120 PSI.
- In 50 seconds, the tank will get full.
- It can work on uneven terrain and different temperatures.
- Thermal protector
- Fast recovery time
- Fast filling time
- Less maintenance
- Heat is dissipated efficiently and quickly
- Inefficient air regulator diaphragm
4 – Makita Big Bore Air Compressor
Makita Big Bore air compressor has a luxurious pump made of cast iron that helps to deliver optimum performance with a quiet environment. The motor capacity is large with 2.0 HP. This compressor offers high-performance with low maintenance. One can use the compressor for a long time, and its low RPM provides the motor with durability. The air compressor has been engineered to offer improved performance and fast recovery time.
During startup, the low amp draw will reduce the occurrence of tripped breakers. The pump is lubricated with oil to minimize wear and run at a cool temperature. The motor has added protection with built-in thermal. Industrial air filters of large automotive facilitate greater efficiency and more air intake. Oil sight glass offers secure, fast, and efficient maintenance.
- Cast iron cylinder makes the compressor durable by increasing pump life and by reducing the chances of wear.
- It is portable and offers easy maintenance.
- It has a low noise level of 79 decibels with enhanced pump durability.
- It increases heat dissipation and reduces the water.
- The pump is oil lubricated.
- It offers additional protection and great portability by constructing a roll cage.
- The pump runs at a lower RPM of 1730.
- Works excellent at different temperatures.
- Fast recovery time with efficient fastening and nailing.
- Cast iron
- High output
- Portable air compressors
- The pain started chipping off from the tank.
5 – Makita Electric Air Compressor
Makita Electric Air Compressor has been engineered with piston and cylinder to offer high output with less noise. One can expect the air compressor to provide enhanced Jobsite performance with the delivery of industrial power. The products come with improved durability. The oil sight glass offers easy, fast, and efficient maintenance. The air filters are of industrial grade to increase efficiency and get more air intake. To offer additional protection and portability, the compressor has been equipped with a roll bar handle. It uses an electric power source.
There is a discharge tubing with copper finned, which helps to increase the heat dissipation and reduce the water level. It will increase compression and promote fast recovery. The compressor also comes with all drain that promotes easy maintenance. The product comes with the manufacturer’s warranty of 1 year. It is lubricated with oil to minimize wear.
- Copper finned tubing for discharge reduces water and increases the dissipation of heat.
- Additional protection and portability with a roll bar handle.
- Exceptional efficiency and air intake with air filter of large automotive.
- It produces less noise than 80db.
- The cast-iron cylinder increased compression with great stroke and bore.
- 1-year warranty
- Oil lubrication cools down the running pump to minimize wear.
- Prevents motor failure with low amp voltage drop and tripped breaker.
- Easy and fast.
- Reduced noise
- Great performance
- Easy maintenance
- Heat dissipation
- Additional protection
- 1-year warranty
6 – California Air Tools Oil-Free And Quiet Air Compressor
California Air Compressor offers the ultra-quiet operation of 60 decibels. The powerful motor of 1.0 HP will operate using 1680 RPM. It refrains the motor from facing wears and tears. The piston pump system is designed to offer durability and high performance. Dual-piston oil-free pump provides 3000 plus hours of the life cycle. The air compressor will work perfectly in uneven terrains and different temperatures. The wheel kit increases mobility, and the steel tank has a capacity of 8 gallons.
In 165 seconds, the tank will get filled up quickly. The oil-free pump reduces maintenance frequency and cost. A thermal overload protector increases efficiency. The air compressor will dissipate the heat immediately. It has a quick recovery time of 30 seconds. The product will cover a warranty of 1 year.
- One ¼” universal quick connectors
- Dissipates heat quickly
- Equipped with thermal overload protector
- Two gauges to control the pressure
- 30 seconds of recovery time
- Within 130 seconds the tank will get full
- Works efficiently in uneven terrains and different temperatures
- The oil-free feature provides cleaner air
- 30% less noise in contrast to other air compressors
- 3000 plus hours of the life cycle
- Wheel kit increases mobility
- One year warranty
- Quick recovery time
- Quick tank fill-up
- 60 decibels
- Suitable for cold temperatures
- Uneven terrains
- Value for money
- 1-year warranty
- Emits burning smell
7 – DEWALT Pancake Air Compressor
Every single part of the DEWALT Pancake Air Compressor is highly efficient and easy to operate. It has a vast tank capacity of 6 gallons and delivers 2.6 SCFM at 90 PSI. By using the extension cord, you can start the air compressor. It will work fine even during cold weather. If you are someone who prefers to work in a quiet environment, then you should go for this one as the noise level does not go beyond 75.5 dBA.
The air tool’s performance is enhanced with the help of couplers and air flow regulators. Make sure that the air compressor is located at a distance of 12 inches from any obstructions that can interfere with airflow. This oil-free pump will offer maintenance-free and long-life operations.
The outlet tube has been rerouted to avoid it from becoming the catch point. There are dual universal couplers that will enable two users. One can conveniently wrap the cord to get secure storage. There is a console cover for protecting the control, and it is also removable to facilitate easy repairing.
One can easily store or carry it because it has a minimum weight of 30 pounds. For easy and quick-draining, there is a ball drain valve. Marring is prevented with the help of rubber covers in the legs.
- Rerouted outlet tube to avoid the catch point.
- 75.5 dBA promote low noise environment
- It can be operated with an extension cord
- Easy to operate during the winter season
- 6-gallon tank capacity
- Couplers and flow regulators maximize the performance
- Cord wrap for secure storage.
- 30lb weight makes it portable and maneuverable
- Prevents marring with leg covers made of protective rubber.
- Thorough and quick tank draining with ball drain valve.
- Promote two users with dual universal couplers.
- Oil-free and maintenance-free
- Noise level
- 6 gallon
- Pancake construction
- Rubber legs
- Removable parts
- Poor build quality
8 – Campbell Hausfeld Quiet Air Compressor
Campbell Hausfeld Quiet Air Compressor is 50% quieter in comparison to the other air compressor available in the market. It won’t create sound above 68 decibels, which is great for outdoor and indoor use. The compressor has been designed for hobby painting, inflation, nailing, stapling, bolting projects, and fastening.
The air compressor is portable because it comes with large wheels, and the rubber grip makes it easy to maneuver. The product has been designed in a way to make it more durable. The Air compressor has a maintenance-free and oil-free pump. It has a capacity of 6 gallons and is extremely light weighted. The piston pump system of dual strength ensures durability and high performance.
- 50% quieter than other air compressors
- The components will last four times more than other products.
- Maintenance-free and oil-free induction motor.
- The compressor can handle different types of projects like bolting, nailing, hobby painting, fastening, inflation, etc.
- It has a horizontal tank with an 8-gallon capacity.
- A lightweight air compressor increases mobility.
- It can produce an output with 25% more air.
- One year limited warranty.
- Easy to use
- Noise level
- One year warranty
- 8 gallon
- Lengthy filling time
9 – EXCELL 2 Gallon Air Compressor
EXCELL 2 Gallon Air Compressor operates at a shallow sound of 61 dBA. People who are looking for less noise in their working environment should go for this one. It offers maintenance-free and oil-free compressors with a dual pump, and the compressor has been designed to provide impressive tool operation within a less cost. The control panel is conveniently located to put the regulator, quick connects, and gauges right at the fingertips.
The air compressor has a roll cage design, which makes the air compressor comfortable and convenient to handle, transport, or protect. It will start without any hassle during cold temperatures, and one can also use an extension cord. To get perfectly trimmed finished work, you can use this compressor. You don’t have to clean it frequently, and the components of this compressor have excellent durability.
- The roll cage engineering provides a comfortable and convenient handle for storage, transportation, or protection.
- The air compressor is quiet and versatile and is designed for both DIYers and professionals.
- The components will last four times longer in comparison to other compressors.
- 61 dBA noise level will help you to work indoors and outdoors.
- It can also operate even in minus 10-degree celsius.
- It offers a maximum pressure of 125 PSI.
- Roll cage
- Heavy duty
- 2 gallon
- Low voltage
- Value for money
- It only offers a repairing warranty.
10 – DEWALT Portable Air Compressor
DEWALT portable air compressor is one of the finest ones because its efficiency is 85% more than the other competitors. It offers a fast recovery time with 5.1 SCFM at 90 PSI. Seventy-eight decibels is the noise limit, which is 30% quieter than the other oil-free air compressor. One can use the extension cord to operate it, and it will also start at low voltage. To get the peak performance, the compressor comes with couplers and airflow regulator for air pressure.
The robust dual-purpose handle offers additional protection and serves as the hose wrap. DEWALT is famous in the market for being reliable and durable. One can accomplish large projects with this air compressor without any hassle.
- It will increase project efficiency.
- The Air compressor is reliable and durable and offers an Oil-free motor.
- One can use it for DIY tasks or large projects.
- One can operate the air compressor with low voltage or extension cords.
- Low maintenance with less noise of around 78 decibels.
- 78 decibels
- Low voltage
- Zero maintenance
- High flow regulator
- Fast recovery time
- The build quality of the air compressor is embarrassing.
Buying Guide Of Air Compressor For Home Garage
An air compressor is consists of versatile functions. It can be operated with the help of a gas engine or electric engine motor. There are various designs of air compressors available in the market. However, according to the utility also it can be classified into car air compressors and home garage compressors. In this article, we are presenting a detailed view which you can consider before investing in an air compressor for the home garage.
Kinds of Air Compressor
According to the garage sizes and location, there are mainly three types of air compressors which you can get in the market.
There is a presence of piston in this type of device, and the volume reduction is made smoothly with it. This again results in the pressure increment steadily. Usually, this type of compressor is less expensive. If you are going for this device, then it is for you to maintain it for a longer run. There are a few parts that are easily detachable from the reciprocating compressors.
Rotary Screwing Compressors
In this equipment, there are two existing rotors which help air compression at a considerable amount. It is absolutely a low maintenance compressor because the parts are moveable. Individuals who want to go for small budget compressors can think this as a good option for their garage.
To generate the motion, airflow is regulated from the air impellers in this mechanism. Now, the built is requires a high amount of initial costing. Therefore this system can be expensive. The capacity of this compressor is on the larger side. This system requires no oil for its function.
Thing To Consider While Buying Air Compressor For Home Garage
A compressor may consist of a vast tank or smaller version. You have to decide the size of the tank you wish for according to space. Considering the home space is very important if you are going for the air compressors for household purposes. However, you will get tanks in different shapes and sizes for small locations as well. The larger the quantity, the air compressing capacity is better.
Pancake shaped – These are the smallest size that is available for tiny garages beside your homes. They are rounded in structure and flat as well. The tank size is around 5 gallons. If you like airbrushing, then you can simply fill the tanks with air or even do DIY structures according to your wish.
Hot Dog- They are cylindrical in shape and size. Usually, there are four dog-shaped legs and contains varied shaped tanks inside them. The best part about these air compressors is portability. You can fit these easily in any corners inside your room and also shift it accordingly to other rooms.
Wheeled Design- It is the next portable tanks after the hot dog category. They have both legs and wheels. Usually, the legs are situated in the backside, and wheels are in the front, which again ensures super fast movement. The sizes vary from 7 to 39 gallons. For large spacious houses, this can be a favorable option. They are mighty according to their structure as compared to the other compressor tanks.
Understanding the accurate power supply to the air compressor is essential. You have to check the power sockets for this task. In some cases, standard sockets work with the compressors again. Very few require a separate connection. For the sake of power output, the tiny sockets with around 110volts output works perfectly. It is necessary to know that for larger tank size, the power supply should be more. You may call a technician to arrange the power solution if you have lesser power energy at your house.
Few compressors work on gas controlling mechanisms too. If you are looking inexpensive fir options, then it can serve the purpose. Models that are controlled by the gas also do not consist of any cord, so moving or shifting becomes smooth. When the electrical and gas air compressors are compared, then you should think about whether you want it for long hours. In that case, the electrical device will be helpful.
Read The Ratings
PSI ratings are mainly related to the calculation of the force arriving from the tank.
CFM or cubic feet per minute is the air pressure-volume that comes from the entire compressor. You will have to go for a higher level of this if you are investing in a larger compressor tank. For getting the exact calculation of the CFM, you have to add 30-32% more to the CFM requirements that you need.
Portable VS Non-Portable
Compressors are available based on mobility as well. Buyers have to identify the reason they want to go for the compressor. This means they want to shift the compressors among different rooms from the garage or want it in one. Pistons are non-portable and fixed air compressors. There is no presence of air tanks in them, and the air pressure creation is less. There are two primary stages of the piston which are found in the market. Single-stage is the kind where less PSI is derived. In the case of the double piston, the PSI level is more and is more influential in regards to the former.
For home, garages, go for the portable ones. They are easily transferrable to other places. Moreover, they are designed with new technology. The smart wheel service is fantastic. It is easy to maintain these kinds of air compressors. The PSI ranges from 101 to 151, which are brilliant for the airbrushing mechanism. Inflating and air sprays can also be done with this moveable device. Again if you are the one who is looking for a more powerful resource, then the piston is better than the portable once.
Invest in the less noise or absolute no noise device. You can always choose ultra quiet compressors which can be suitable for your indoor houses. Even you can reduce the sound of the compressor too. Dual-piston is ideal for such noiseless service at your home garage.
Oil Or Oil-free
For less maintenance and pocket-friendly service, go for the oil-free compressors. As they already come with a pre-lubricated matter inside them, oiling is no more required externally. There is only one disadvantage, i.e. they don’t last long as compared to the oil-based air compressors.
According to the newest and smart technologies, the compressors also come with trendy drives with variable speeds. This helps to control the motor engine of the compressor. The right percentage of air pressure can be derived at the right time. With the help of switching between AC and DC power, both the voltage and frequency can be changed. If you want to opt for the air compressors, which have these fast drives installed in the engines.
Do check while buying if you are getting any extra advantages or add on with the air compressors. For instance, many compressors come with lubrication and additional tanks or even pumps, extension cords, etc. This is not only cost-effective for a buyer, but also, they do not have to run here and there to get these.
Choose the company or brands with the guarantee they are offering. Usually, maintaining an air compressor depends on the individual who is using it. This means the compressor can even last forever. These devices do not come with an average life span theory. Still, to be on the safe side, go for the plans which have replacement warranty on parts or services.
Some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The primary thing which you should consider before buying an air compressor is the size of the tank. Nextly, check the air compressor type that you want and identify the purpose of it. You can automatically understand whether you need a stationary or piston tank. In addition to it, check if there are extra benefits like free oil pumps or ratings, etc.
If the user wants to go for smaller tasks, then a lightweight device would be best. Again if anyone wants to engage in sandblasting or sharp cutting, they can go for more substantial sized tanks air compressors.
You can clean the compressor once in a week or two. If you have purchased an oil-based compressor, then you have to refill with oil. The oil once is changed; the compressor can work for 7000-7600 hours of your utilization.
Once you have purchased the right product, now it’s time to go for installation. If you are placing the compressor in the garage, then there are few things which you have to consider. For example, first, you need to choose the best place to locate the device. In the garage, it is advised not to hang or stick it with the wall.
Instead, you can keep it in the corners of the garage room. Often from the walls, airflow blockages happen. Make sure there is a substantial amount of space between the compressors.
You may have to go for a piping system in case you have selected a stationary air compressor for your garage. Usually, in the cordless or portable compressor, there is no problem with pipes. You simply do not need them. For the stable ones, the connectivity between rooms can be done with durable pipes. If the compressor is located far away from the workplace, then the gap can be maintained with it.
Often individuals invest in the tiny device with less capacity or power in their small garage. They can always choose a short hose or pin for this over a long sized hoe. This is simply because the later tends to pass away the air pressure unnecessarily. Remember, the air pressure flow depends on the size of the hose. You can change the settings anytime according to your desire and power tools, which you are using at that time.
Varieties of air compressors are available in the market. Choosing the best air compressor for home garage can be tricky. Read and research more and check the specifications online. This will help you to fetch your desired product. If you are lucky, there are many discounts and offers which go on through online sales; you can avail that too.